Highly Valued Linux Content From an Expert - Not about Lasers

So, first of all Mint Linux, and Ubuntu are both derived from Debian stable, which in case you don’t know, is the Official GNU Linux. Debian is the release that Linux Torvolds (the father of Linux) tests. All distributions Manjaro, Gentoo, must derive their base code from Debian, or they cannot use the Linux name. Its a requirement to associate the Linux name.
It appears, that you didn’t change the flag to executable under permissions, and it won’t execute if it is not marked executable. Unlike Windows, there are many file types that can be marked executable and will execute include bash scripts and python programs as well as others.

It does not matter what desktop you use, they all work if the proper dev libs are installed. But I don’t suggest you start fooling with adding or removing GUI libs if you aren’t sure. That is a sure way to end up with a command line only system.system.

Linux Mint is also based on Debian and directly derived from Ubuntu. If if runs on Ubuntu, it will run on Mint, and I know it works on Mint 21. You don’t need to wipe out Mint for Ubuntu, Mint will execute Lightburn just fine.

When you install Lightburn on Linux, you will see an entry in your applications menu under the Graphics tab that will execute Lightburn, and yes it works and installs on Manjaro just fine.

Unfortunately, there seems to be little documentation that is Linux specific after the installation, but it does install and work properly. Even the cross hairs that shows where the laser is positioned within the current project works but depending on your screen geometry the cross hair may not show without zooming in on the pointer. Lightburn does seem to have problems with GTK3 on Linux when it comes to determining proper screen metrics.

Linux is much more system friendly than Windows if you understand how it works. The current version of LightBurn works fine on every version of Linux that is current, including Manjaro, which really shows off how fast lightburn can run. Linux is not version dependent, and in fact, the Windows version of Lightburn will properly install and run on both Linux Mint 21 and the latest Manjaro providing you have Wine and Mono installed prior to LightBurn. I do not recommend installing the Windows version of LightBurn on Linux unless you know how to manually map the /dev/ttyUSB devices to Windows COM ports.

Finally, you need to be aware that if you turn off your laser engraver using GRBL, you should also unplug the USB cable to the engraver afterwards. Otherwise the engraver is still seen as an active COM port and may not initialize properly when turned on. This generally shows up as a different ttyUSBx device number. Otherwise LightBurn works without any issues at all on Linux. Debian 11, Ubuntu 22.04, Mint 21, and Manjaro all work properly.

Thank you oliverbailey324, more details, more versions, history included for that matter, Linux source to boot for that matter, utterly amazing. I received notification of your response, yours was covering even more possible things from current, past and in the future elements people may encounter, and this very thread for that matter, found a solution that’s been highly sought after by many in the past, certainly it will in the future. Thank you and God bless you, I suppose the reception from the staff was a bit put off due to the length and detail you put out. Thank you for your efforts!

Hi Brian,
I’m glad that helped. I’m one of the pioneers of the home/personal computer, for over 50 years. I developed several operating systems for Radio Shack and Commodore, co-wrote the first commercial IBM-PC sold in the U.S. in 1981, and have been a hardware and processor platform engineer since the mid 1980’s. I worked on the team that developed the first hardware IBM PC security product in 1982, and am a subject matter expert for several computer industry trade industry organizations. I am as well known in the embedded processors industry and have written many books on embedded systems, communications, and cross platform development. I have won many awards for both microprocessor and embedded designs and products.
I withdrew the topic when it was pulled but I am glad it solved your problems. That was the reason I wrote it. I’m a life long professional engineer and scientist well read in many languges and with life long success. So I have much different views and experience and based on life long experiences. I alpha tested the first C++ code generator. Ironically, I have a lot of experience in machine design, that was my first career path. And I still have a few clients that rely on my experience in machine controls. Great to know you benefitted from my post. I removed it and most likey won’t post again. Being retired and with a room full of professional awards, I enjoy life and contributing where I am respected and welcomed.

Happy Computing,
Oliver H Bailey

Geesh… what a resume…

Now I know where to go for any computer problem :rofl:

Good to know… thanks for chiming in…

:smiley_cat:

…have I (we) missed something?, it would have been nice if we also got to know what the experts have to say, it doesn’t suit the forum to only get to know how phenomenal the experts are but not what they can do contribute here to all the rest of us in community.

To be honest I was totally surprised when I saw it was hidden. And for the life of me can’t understand why. But then what do I know :thinking:.

the same here…

Well, I am pretty certain that Oz knows what happened to that message. The good news is, your users group meeting is just a couple hours from my home and I have been thinking about attending. I haven’t made up my mind if I would be welcomed, so the jury is still out on that one. Once again, thank you for being so warm to my comments, they were, as always, aimed at being helpful. It was nice to know someone read and benefited from it before it was hidden, you are all very astute at finding useful information.
Now, I need to report some bugs. I have taken the time to document and photograph the finished waste material in addition to the design screen. Where do I report the bugs.

Again, thank you being so kind to my article. I am very glad that it was helpful.

Regards,
Oliver Bailey

Put it here or create a new thread.

Your resume is most impressive, the delivery/write up of it could use some polishing, lol. My situation was resolved before you chimed in but I want to keep this open to dialog and to also cover additional possible gambits people may run into problems with it, in the future. My time is valuable, wasting it on search engine results that show no solution is frustrating, at least now we have one in place due to this thread.

I can relate to you along putting out too much information, even to the point I might as well be talking an alien language, much less the backlash and fear the general public conveys when they see someone or something out of the norm and average, it’s public insecurity more then anything else. I’ve had to redact comments, posts, statements, and the rest entirely because I have disdain for conflict and as stated in the bible, “Throw not your pearls to dogs and swine, less they trample them under foot and turn on you”. Like you as well, mine is also an aptitude for engineering, in my case it’s mechanical mostly.

Places like these, the public venue’s, as extensive of the subject matters can be, personalities of all ranges considered, it’s supposed to be community first, everything else secondary. Anyway, it certainly would be great to further dialog with you in the future, it’s always advantageous to be in good company, especially with those of us that are rather alienated from the common man, for our society demands a state of fitting in over original thought and creativity. Google up Espresso Outfitters, I’m easy to find.

I hope I don’t get in trouble over this, but I am going to copy and paste what Oliver’s original, now redacted statement was and his 2 cents along support.

"So, first of all Mint Linux, and Ubuntu are both derived from Debian stable, which in case you don’t know, is the Official GNU Linux. Debian is the release that Linux Torvolds (the father of Linux) tests. All distributions Manjaro, Gentoo, must derive their base code from Debian, or they cannot use the Linux name. Its a requirement to associate the Linux name.
It appears, that you didn’t change the flag to executable under permissions, and it won’t execute if it is not marked executable. Unlike Windows, there are many file types that can be marked executable and will execute include bash scripts and python programs as well as others.

It does not matter what desktop you use, they all work if the proper dev libs are installed. But I don’t suggest you start fooling with adding or removing GUI libs if you aren’t sure. That is a sure way to end up with a command line only system.system.

Linux Mint is also based on Debian and directly derived from Ubuntu. If if runs on Ubuntu, it will run on Mint, and I know it works on Mint 21. You don’t need to wipe out Mint for Ubuntu, Mint will execute Lightburn just fine.

When you install Lightburn on Linux, you will see an entry in your applications menu under the Graphics tab that will execute Lightburn, and yes it works and installs on Manjaro just fine.

Unfortunately, there seems to be little documentation that is Linux specific after the installation, but it does install and work properly. Even the cross hairs that shows where the laser is positioned within the current project works but depending on your screen geometry the cross hair may not show without zooming in on the pointer. Lightburn does seem to have problems with GTK3 on Linux when it comes to determining proper screen metrics.

Linux is much more system friendly than Windows if you understand how it works. The current version of LightBurn works fine on every version of Linux that is current, including Manjaro, which really shows off how fast lightburn can run. Linux is not version dependent, and in fact, the Windows version of Lightburn will properly install and run on both Linux Mint 21 and the latest Manjaro providing you have Wine and Mono installed prior to LightBurn. I do not recommend installing the Windows version of LightBurn on Linux unless you know how to manually map the /dev/ttyUSB devices to Windows COM ports.

Finally, you need to be aware that if you turn off your laser engraver using GRBL, you should also unplug the USB cable to the engraver afterwards. Otherwise the engraver is still seen as an active COM port and may not initialize properly when turned on. This generally shows up as a different ttyUSBx device number. Otherwise LightBurn works without any issues at all on Linux. Debian 11, Ubuntu 22.04, Mint 21, and Manjaro all work properly."

Thank you Brian.
You are right. I’ve had issues with one individual who seems to be very threatened by my knowlege. Going back to the pre-industry days leaves me in a real life “last man standing” situation. The funniest part of all this is simply the fact, I never planned on ever getting into the field, it just happened by the hand of God. And even funnier, is the things I’ve been involved with could never have happened by coincidence. Ironically, being involved in the capacity that I have been, the importance of those projects that sermed minor at the time; today history has emphasized each and every project in the grand scheme of the success of the industry. And I have met, befriended, and colloborated with the top engineers and scientists in many fields throughout the world.
So I am careful with whom I associate because most of the developers today are more makers than architects. Someone who recently interviewed me for a historical piece, was shocked when they said I wore many hats; I snapped back with “That’s not true, we all wore the same dirty hat”. We did what pioneers do, we moved forward because it was the only direction to go, and all we had were each other. There was no one with more experience because we were the experts, no one knew more than we did. And at times it didn’t seem we knew very much. Now I get the calls that I’m the last hope in solving a problem. I chose family and privacy over being in the spotlight. And I wouldn’t have done it any other way. But I am stiil known in the boardroom and always respond when needed. Today I limit my duties to executive advisor only as I fully retired 13 months ago. I always have time for collegues that are also engineers. If you’re on linkedin connect with me and I will share my personal contact info. I restrict my ability to be contacted since retiring, but google my name and you’ll get my contact info.
I limit my LightBurn involvement to reporting issues. I use the product for specific needs only and because I use many professional tools that I have had for years, I use those for the majority of my work because they have a more mature interface and their authors work in a more collabotive way with someone of my experience.
If you can’t find my contact info, let me know and we will figure a way to connect. For the most part, LightBurn works well on Linux. And I speak for only the narrow field of use I give it. It good to meet everyone who reached out.
Take care.

You do know in any given field, when someone shows excellence in it, they will always have haters. Like you, I am the last man standing in my industry building espresso carts, what is around for so called competition are at best hacks, at worse, total con artists trying to pass off China junk to out right misleading buyers into thinking they are getting some great deal on something that has no business what so ever to operate in a commercial setting.

I’m only about a month using Lightburn, and like you, I have my own perferred software, flash 4.0 being one of them for being a simple interface but can do in very short order what would normally take forever. I also have my 3d rendering software, again more old school and again for the same reasons and it’s amusing spitting something out in an hour or two that takes a team of 3d Cad professionals a week to a month to handle. I see some great features in LightBurn so far, others, not so great, some of which, just miserable how they laid it out in the interface, such as working with what originated on a Windows computer, now using Linux, that original file is slightly off, tilted, even though it was the exact same file I was working with before on the other system. There are many steps required for doing something that was not needed in flash to do in other areas, and I could go on, but it’s also not some overpriced, bloated piece of software either, so I don’t mind the nuances and the rest.

There is no way I can find you on Linkedin, there are very many people with your same name and I also do not use it, for it was more of a spam magnet when I tried it before, so the ball is in your court if you want to send an email to discuss things outside of this place, it’s on my websites.

People like us don’t really retire, it’s in our nature to continue to explore, solve new problems, face new challenges, pioneer new fields and expand the ones we have been involved with. There are things such as a new engine design of mine, it’s in concept stage that fixes the petrol and electric based vehicles, or when I was 12, discovering an additional law of gravity which can be used for travel to the stars without the limits of propulsion, and a series of just new concepts and ideas that merely get buried since I am only one person so have to be tactful along my time and what to pursue.

As you likely also know, one has to dumb down their conversations, topics, and not overwhelm people, most can’t handle much more then a handful of things and when you deviate from them they are lost. EQ is an important element that often gets overlooked but it’s an important part of our society and really, as to avoid intimidating people.

Don’t post this… I sent you a PM… on a secure way to give him information.

Might want to delete that information the bots will end up with all that information… and your phone will ring, your inbox will fill up with junk.

:smiley_cat:

I sent him a note via. email. Also, for the record, my email and phone number is public from my web sites. I do get spam and the robocalls, but it’s not as bad as what people might think.

In addition to the fact that there is something that I experience differently, as far as the different linux versions are concerned in connection with LightBurn, I can’t see why there should be “cut and paste”.
If the content or the theme of a post is not relevant or interesting to you, then you do not need to get involved, it is entirely up to the individual.
We are here, each with its own assumptions, to help each other and exchange information and experiences. Some are smarter than others, others write more than others, but if the only goal of the posts is to contribute with some positive input, then that’s fine.

Version 21 Mint was used in the live USB format and looking around at my system, seeing WIFI was not recognized, realized I should stick with an earlier version, else I am headed down one more, of many more rabbit trails just to do the original what I set out to do a month ago, with a laser cutter, simply to make some RC planes, part of my hobby I am involved with. Still, beyond this, as I was searching and the rest, even buying a cheap Windows laptop to run LightBurn, it’s absolute and only use it has, I think I’ve invested plenty to be induldged with this gambit to share more, just on a personal level, but while we are here, let’s touch the rest of the gambit rather then make people keep searching, or in my case give up as I did initially.

His content was and is quite relevant on deeper levels, just for the surface, it may seem obscure, but it’s really not. Just this alone, regardless of distro and the rest, even if they did not find a solution here, they know that it can be done, and some times that’s all it takes.

I saw, just gross over moderation of a post, his informative input, written up in a very educational, quality manner, deemed not worthy to publish. His response to me, shows me exactly the nature of who is behind this, and I took note, his dismay and stating he’s not going to post any more, and I would not blame him one bit.

Sorry for going off topic, did what is going on here, from the start, fix your needs personally? Great, if not, no biggie, at least it’s an option to look into should you run into it in the future, and honestly, just endearing to see people sharing and of good company, and in this case looking out for each other.

New thread for sure. Thank you.

No trouble here.

After much deliberation and at least 2-3 previously unsuccessful attempts we have restored the original post. The content offered from this message forward had little to offer the OP in the original thread. Because the topic shifted toward Unix we’ve split the thread after the solution and moved that portion into the Community Talk section.

Easy there Tiger… Play Nice…