Homing option causes my laser to crash every single time

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum and new to laser engraving. Just purchased my first one, an Atezr L2 24W. I assembled it successfully and connected it to Lightburn successfully, however every time I hit the home button it adjusts Z-Axis, X-Axis, and Y-Axis as it should. Once it reaches the lower left corner, it then starts making a horrible grinding sound and I can either wait for it to stop after about ten seconds when it errors out, or I can turn the machine off. Once I turn it back on, it doesn’t know its location and will basically go wherever it wants when I tell it to frame an object, or sometimes it won’t move at all. If I turn the machine off and manually home it, then turn it back on, it knows its position and can frame the drawings accurately. However, I don’t know what triggers it, but sometimes it will lose its position again and I’ll have to start it over. I removed auto home as an option in device settings because then on power up it would crash every single time I turned on the machine. So I’m not sure what’s going on, but if it’s possible I would like to be able to utilize the home option in Lightburn. Both automatic and the button on the laser screen of Lightburn. Any advice would be highly welcome as I’ve scoured the Internet looking for answers and as of yet have not found any specifically related to my current problem.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice on this!

You have homing switches on the machine?

I have limit switches, several of them, but I’m not sure about homing switches. Is there a difference between them? If my laser doesn’t have homing switches then does that mean I just need to ignore the homing button? If so, how do I get my laser to return to a set location upon start up and job finish?

If your home is lower left and your switches are there, I would say that one or both are misadjusted and not triggering the homing cycle.

1 Like

This machine has (to the best of my knowledge) 6 limit switches. One at each end of each axis.

Mine works as it should. I know of one other user that reported a problem with the lower Z switch that acts as the focus trigger. His laser module was cocked at a bad angle and the head would hit the surface in such a way that the nozzle or safety shroud bottomed out before the focus switch. This generated grinding noise and eventually an error. Once he straightened out the head, it functioned normally. This is unrelated to homing, but I thought I would pass it along as a data point.

As DSkall said, one of your lower left switches is either faulty, disconnected, or located wrong.

Move the head near to the top right and issue a home command. Depress the lower left switches by hand (know where they are and be careful. Use a pencil or something to keep your fingers safe.)

This should confirm if the switches function. Report back on this and we can go from there.

1 Like

Hey guys!

I greatly appreciate all the insight you both provided me. I determined that the limit switch was not functioning correctly, and finally found the issue.

1. I removed the limit switch and checked continuity of the circuit board to make sure the limit switch itself was good. Continuity checked out okay.

2. I then checked continuity of the wires leading to the limit switch all the way to the quick connection point. Continuity was okay.

3. Turned on the machine and checked voltage at limit switch connector, no voltage.

4. Checked voltage at quick connect (male side). Voltage was there.

5. Determined voltage was getting lost through the female connector side. Messed with the pins on the male connector to align them better and reconnected. Took a few attempts, but eventually voltage reached the limit switch successfully and now the machine homes without any issues.

Thanks again for the insight. Once you helped me understand it was a hardware issue and not the actual software I was able to correct it successfully.

Beautiful! Good luck as you continue!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.