Horizontal banding on ortur LM2 Pro after on year

After a year of use and great results I am getting horizontal banding on all my burns. I have tried cleaning and tightening all belts and screws. No change and banding pattern is very consistent.

Are you using a drum sander on your wood?

I see linear scratches on the wood (between the “W” and the largest dot for example)
These scratches will burn differently than the flat-sanded areas.

If you are using a drum sander (my favorite shop tool), I find it best to jump back several grits when you start to finish the surface with a random orbital sander (ROS).

Walnut and other hardwoods are notoriously difficult to remove linear scratches from.
If your final drum sand pass is with 180 (for example), I’d ROS with 120 then work back up to your final grit.

A clean board and raking light will show the linear scratches and let you know (when you don’t see them any more) to move on to the next grit.

No I do not use a drum sander. Thinking of complete tear down and re-assemble to see if I can find any obvious issues.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.