How do the new diode laser machines perform in reality?

The dark marks were done with a 20w xTool D1 Pro at 30mm/sec 100% power yesterday direct to the metal. No paint or anything, the marks are into the base material and you can feel them with your fingernail. The light ones were down with a 20w galvo fiber.

Lets just say I’m very keen to see what the 30w does…

1 Like

Hi.

:slight_smile:

Converting electricity to anything else than heat and rotational energy is, and probably in the near future will be, very inefficient.

Prior to the advancements -ok, huge leaps- in LED technolgy on the last decade or so, converting electrical power into any kind of light was even more inefficient.
Incandescent lightbulb was/is obviously at the bottom with its ~2% efficiency, but other methods weren’t that much efficient either.

On one of my other passions, audio, things are not that much better even though class D amplifiers have greatly improved the modulating efficiency.
The elecricity to sound pressure conversion efficiency is still at ~0.1 (HiFi) ~2% (conventional PA loudspeakers), and ~5% (horn loaded loudspeakers).

Both the XTool 20W “blue” & 2W Ir come with the same 150W cord-wart.
I assume those are not way overspec’d.
Because it’s not high on my priority list, I haven’t measured the actual power draw, but as soon as I find time and inspiration to play with the Chinese laser power meter I bought a while back, I will obviously measure the electrial power and the efficiency as well.

Regards,
Sam