How long does a diode laser last?

Hello members How long does a diode laser last
I have the idea that mine is finished or do I have another problem (see attachment)
I have always managed to engrave this beautiful black 2000 mm / 80 % but not anymore
would love to hear it greetings Ronnie

I’d first suggest thoroughly cleaning your lens to make sure the reduced power isn’t the result of a dirty lens. The act of burning releases a lot of gases that can accumulate as a residue on the lens.

If you’re lucky that will return power back to normal. If not, it’s very possible as you say that the diode has degraded to the point where power loss is very noticeable.

I suggest you read this Topic for some additional perspective:

We don’t have good numbers for how long a laser diode lasts for the simple reason that the software does not have an hour counter. And this is a great pity because it is so difficult to recall exactly how long the laser diode has been operating. Never believe any number that any person gives unless he meticulously keeps an operating log. But who does that? It is simply too much trouble. And if someone claims to keep an accurate operating log I would be inclined to disbelieve him.

That leaves us with the manufacturer’s claims and I am even more cynical and sceptical about the claims of Chinese manufacturers. I have bought a lot of stuff from China and almost uniformly their claims are vastly inflated.

I have had two laser diodes and both have had suspiciously short lives(I never drive the module at more than 85%) but I can’t quantify it because the software does not keep a record. I really, really wish that Lightburn would step up to the plate and add this feature.

Here is what I think is happening.

1. to try and get good cutting depth figures, to make good advertising claims, they drive the module at or above it’s rated current.

2. this generates a lot of heat which must be removed by the heatsink and fan. And it is the heat which shortens the diode’s life. Here they cut corners to save costs(and weight) because these design compromises are invisible to the customer. I have opened my laser diode module and noted with dismay the poor design for heat removal. They know perfectly well that no customer keeps good records and could never prove a warranty claim. This must change and Lightburn are the people who can make it possible.

You have my sympathy. We are the victims of shabby manufacturing practices and dodgy marketing claims.

Thanks for the advice
tried again at 1500 / 60%
and now it’s fine
think it got too hot
greetings ronnie

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.