Since it happened not to be convenient at the time, I indeed did make the mistake of stopping before doing camera alignment. I hadn’t done that before so therein was my confusion. I started over from scratch using a fisheye lens setting and I had to click and click to get usable results but also got to a point where it wouldn’t capture anything that would pass. I started over using a standard lens setting. I consistently then got values in the .15 to .3 range. After that I did the camera alignment and here is what the resulting overlay looks like:
Thanks for the insight. I started over with a larger circles image and really paid attention to lighting. I found it to be very fussy. I used the fisheye setting and tilted the circles pattern so it remained more or less rectangular in the camera image. Most of the images were about .20 or less but some took several clicks to get there. Once calibration was done I did the alignment and this is what the overlay now looks like:
(The burnout in the image is due to the LEDs on the horizontal gantry.) As you can see the overlay is nearly perfect. I burned a dot at the center of each target and they are “spot on”. It was a learning experience. For me, lighting and keeping the image rectangular in the camera view made all the difference.
It really is any amazing capability to be able to overlay the image of the laser bed/stock onto the drawing surface. It really is worth any amount of trouble it takes to get it set up. Thanks for your hard work!