How to align work material on bed?

I’m having trouble registering or aligning my work material with the laser.

On my Onefinity CNC (or rather, in the Vcarve Pro software), I tell it the size of my material, and which corner is 0,0 (say, bottom left). Then I position the bit at 0,0 [,-0] and off it goes. I know just where it will cut.

But with the Atomstak X20 Pro and/or Lightburn, it doesn’t seem to work that way.
I position an image in Lightburn to a known x & y (is it bottom left, or based on center??) but when I have the laser to a contour pass, it’s off… usually bigger than my image.

Is there a consistent way to place material and the laser start point? I don’t have a laptop attached to the Atomstack, I’m just using it’s little hand-held unit. Would a laptop make placement easier?

Just for grins, I also put a “spoil board” fit tightly between the feet and had it burn a grid so I could see where the Atomstack though the mm measurements were.

Thanks!

This may be a good read

1 Like

That’s Terrific!
Thanks for the great reference!

2 Likes

What is confusing to most people is how a machine works in general… The coordinate system is always at 0, 0 of the coordinate system…

The home position or 0, 0 used by the machine is dependent on which quadrant it operates within.

If the machines home is in the back/left, then it’s operating within quadrant IV.

quadrant-iv

However if home is front/left operation is within quadrant I.

quadrant-i

In the back/right it operation is quadrant III

quadrant-iii-home

Make sense?

This type operation is also related to the laser windows job origin

and in the tool bar window, where it describes the anchor point. It’s where you’re working from within the work area… for modification tools such as sizing…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.