How to attach the laser combiner red laser dot

I just recently purchased a red dot and beam combiner for my 100w C02 laser since it didn’t have a red dot system. My question is, where do I connect it for power? Is it the Ruida board or power supply?

Depends on the Red Dot voltage and the controller / PSU. Most Red Dots are either 3V or 5V. The 3V are rare, but out there. Most people will run the wires back to their PSU and let it go on and off with the laser. Some will add a switch somewhere. It’s all in what you want.

If it is a 3 or 5V, and all you have is 24V, just add a resistor and you’re good. For my machine the ONLY thing in it that was 5V was the Red Dot. I switched it to 24V just for consistency.

1 Like

If you need to add power for your laser pointer, you may as well add LEDs while you’re at it.

A 5V switched-mode power supply is $15 or less.

This one in 5V 5A or similar: https://www.amazon.com/PHEVOS-Universal-Switching-Raspberry-Computer/dp/B07B111B7Y

If you got a switch with your kit, you’re fine, otherwise you want a latching 2-pole switch and just wire it inline with your power lead from the psu (or wherever you are going to get your 5V power) to the pointer. For the current you are going to be drawing, any two-core wire is fine - telephone wire, hookup wire, pretty much anything you have to hand will be fine.

I couldn’t tell you where to get such stuff, but you’re in Cali - spiritual home of the maker movement - anywhere that sells Arduino or Pi will stock everything you need.

Wiring a new switch-mode PSU is exactly the same as for your existing 24V one, except you will be feeding output 5V DC only to the devices that need it. Copy the input to your 24V and you’ll be fine.

For convenience, you can just make a couple of jumper leads from your AC+/- at your 24V PSU to the 5V switch AC inputs - like for like - + to +, - to -

If you’re not clear, just ask - I can draw you a diag, or take a photo.

I haven’t got any to hand to test, but those latched switches with the LED surround, even though listed as 12V/24V, that’s their rated capacity - the switch could probably take more, but the LED will fail at more than 24V - the LED just uses what power is supplied. It should light up at 5V.

https://www.amazon.com/APIELE-Warranty-Latching-Button-Switch/dp/B083QLW8Z3

as an example… YMMV

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Got it up and running. I was just having trouble getting the hamster on his wheel in my head. I couldn’t figure out where to get the power. Then as you guys said “Power Supply”. Duuuh lol

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.