How to connect laser into linux

Hi guys,

i have a small problem, i want to use linux for my laser but i can’t connect it !
It doesn’t appear on lsusb. Any ideeas ?

@SerzHuster can you describe your machine, the controller board AND what’s the last output of the “dmesg” command after you plug in the USB cable?

Follow @DougL suggestions…

If you haven’t changed anything you probably need to sudo the command.

I use sudo dmesg | tail, piping it’s output through tail so I only get the last 10 lines, as there are probably thousands…

There is a thread that may help…

What place does the Raspberry PI have to do with this?

:smile_cat:

sudo adduser (yourusername) dialout will add you to the group if you dont have permissions.

i have permissions :wink: but still doesn’t get recognized

sudo dmesg | tail
[ 680.311319] hid-generic 0003:093A:2510.0004: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [PixArt USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:01:00.0-1.1/input0
[ 681.502804] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 681.503255] ch341-uart ttyUSB1: ch341-uart converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
[ 681.503305] ch341 1-1.2:1.0: device disconnected
[ 685.822090] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 685.932374] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523, bcdDevice= 2.64
[ 685.932412] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 685.932427] usb 1-1.3: Product: USB Serial
[ 685.941207] ch341 1-1.3:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
[ 685.948794] usb 1-1.3: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB1

it would appear your USB device would be “/dev/ttyUSB1” and maybe if you enter that into your LightBurn device setting it will connect to your machine.

tried with ttyusb0 ttyusb1 etc, still disconected

That is not correct, when you setup Lightburn for your device you should have specified GRBL and then the serial/USB option and with your laser powered on and then LIghtBurn started, you should select your Laser and if it does not find the device you should see in the device dropdown list a ttyUSB1 device. ttyusb1 is NOT the same because Linux and UNIX based operating systems are case sensitive to capitalization matters.

I’m also going to ask again, what is your computer operating system you are running(Linux is too generic), what is the brand and model of laser machine? We can possibly figure out what firmware that laser is running if we find it listed on the internet.

Sculpfun s6 pro, i’ve tried with Ubuntu / Debian now im gonna try with Mint…
don’t know why on this Dell doesn’t want to work.
even on my raspberry pi it works :sweat_smile:

Have you disabled brltty? On many systems that is a standard install but most don’t need brail interface and the brltty process grabs tty devices. Search these forums for information on that.

I think on my Ubuntu Linux it’s

sudo apt remove brltty 

How are you doing this on a PI?

:smile_cat:

brltty is disabled, doesn’t want to work…

on pi lightburn is emulated with wine. you can install it with box64 if you know what library are missing…

Any reason you’re using the Windows version of LightBurn for Pi?

Are you also using the Windows version for Linux?

Please send us the output of the “groups” command for the simple user, not root. To make sure the dialup and tty groups are added.

Keep in mind that if you use wine you have to “redirect” the port which often doesn’t work. So you should use the linux version.

on pi im using the windows version because of the missing lib :wink:
on linux im using native

im not using wine for Lightburn on Dell, just on raspberry pi

Then it’s likely still a permissions thing. Run these 2 commands: “groups” and “ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*”
Then copy and paste to this forum thread the command lines and the result lines so we can see your user ID and the results.

In step 1 below, $USER doesn’t need to be replaced with your username. It’s a standard system variable, and if entered exactly as shown below will automatically refer to the logged-in user’s username.

1. Open a terminal and run the following command:
  2. sudo adduser $USER dialout && sudo adduser $USER tty
  3. IMPORTANT! Log out and log back in (this refreshes the permissions we just added)
1 Like

@SerzHuster where do you stand on this issue? Resolved or still exists?