How to Cut Outline Of Image or Mark Areas Not To Cut

Is this a file you are happy to share … I ask because I would like to try on the file, then send it back to you if I manage to do it :slight_smile:

gary@steampowered.team

I think one of the confusing factors here is that there are two basic types of images, bitmaps and vectors. If you are not aware of this lots of things in image editing will make very little sense. Bitmap images are made up of dots, or pixels, and vector images are lines and shapes. Since bitmaps are a collection of discrete pixels they can be engraved but not cut. They have no nodes to edit, thus the greyed-out button. Once you trace it, the result is a vector image. Vector images can be cut and/or engraved and have nodes that can be edited. JPG and PNG images are bitmaps and SVG and DXF are vector images. When preparing an image for the laser, or CNC router for that matter, you almost always want to use a vector format. Vectors have several advantages for this type of work, two of the most important being that they are usually made up of discreet lines and shapes that can be grouped together and they can be resized with no loss of quality. Bitmaps develop β€œjaggies” and other flaws when enlarged. With vectors, you can select different image parts and assign different colors to them which in turn can be assigned different actions in LightBurn. For example, you might assign red to mean cut and green to mean engrave. Hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.