How to laser warped materials: A quick new video from LightBurn!

We’ve released a new video on the LightBurn Youtube channel!
I made this one, and I’d love to know what you think! :blush:

It’s a super short one (just over a minute) that demonstrates a nifty trick for dealing with warped and crumpled materials:

I hope you like it!

9 Likes

Yes I have seen this done else where and a great tip. Pity it is not possible to use on warped plywood. I currently have two sheets that I sprayed with bicarbonate of soda for etching pictures that won’t lay flat.:rage:

That is the ongoing battle… you are not alone.

1 Like

The only way I found to correct warped ply is to wet both sides and press it flat until it dries.
I buy a lot of poplar ply and it is so sensitive to changes in temperature & humidity that it has to be stacked perfectly flat until it acclimates.

2 Likes

Om occasion I have had success with cutting squirrely veneers by placing them between two sheets of glass. Power requirements are higher, but the glass holds the veneer flat.

3 Likes

Bah! Sissies!

Just jam it in there and carve it up:

That extracted a small and kinda-sorta flat piece for further processing:

Scariest obscene-gerund thing I’ve done in a while, but I had the return-to-home path figured just right and the head didn’t snag on that upturned right corner.

Don’t do as I do …

:skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Did you just wet the one side? If so… Try wetting the other and letting it dry too.

I’m not going to say it definitely will work, but sometimes it does!

Haha! You’re braver than I! I was worried even filming the forced failure for the video.

Yeah, that’s bent.

I use these little things. They work like bench dogs (I call them laser dogs). You can make them yourself to fit in your honeycomb bed. They can help control warped plywood along with some flat weights. Another great feature if you don’t have a camera setup is the “set laser position” tool to place weights on a sheet where you know will be avoided by the laser.

2 Likes

That’s cool… I may have to try that

I have found these plastic expansion style anchors work well with a honeycomb bed as hold downs. Inexpensive and not going to cause major issues if one runs over with laser. Below is just one example of available options. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those hold downs are great for thick stock! The glass trick is better for thin stock that will warp up and get snagged on the laser even when the edges are secured (at the start of the video I demonstrated this with a piece of card that was taped fully down around all edges).

Indeed, was more in response to the post from @Niall. :smiling_face:

1 Like

My router pulls the sheet of ply with 2 sets of feed rollers, holding any irregularities in the sheet flat. I have to be careful to place enough bridges to stop edges sticking up or down and jamming.

I’ve also seen a professional cutter with air assist sucking the ply to the table. Being used by a boat builder, quite an impressive setup. Air sucks through the cuts and the vacuum pump is BIG.

Really? I have a load of vaneer and have been having issues. This sound like magic.