How to remove residue

What is the best way to remove the residue that’s left behind after the engraving is complete.

Try using air from a compressor

alcohol…i use either isopropyl if it isnt too thick or denatured alcohol.

Or a brush that isn’t too stiff.

Depends completely on what material you lasered.

it’s mahogany mostly

Surface smoke, the char on the side, or honeycomb stain?

I most of the time do photorealistic image engraving for …the black residue is almost everywhere on the surface and the depths are full of it.

Blow it off with air while using an old tooth brush to scrub the engraving.
Then give it a light sanding with 320 sand paper and blow off again.
Ready for your favorite finish.

You should post a few… We’d :heart: to see them :crazy_face:

:smile_cat:

Remove residue from what?

Smoke from wood? Acrylic? ABS? Foam? Some materials like cleaning better than others. I see alcohol mentioned here, but if you use it on plastic, it will crack and craze.

Whats your extraction like? Whats your air source like? Do you run it all the time? Can you adjust it for engraving?

I cut on a metal sheet, with the materials elevated. Most of the residue condenses on the plate. I use alcohol to wipe off what’s left from acrylic and acetone for wood type residue. Although acetone is good for both, I’m not fond of the odor.

Alcohol is a solvent for acrylic. If you get it on there it will create lots of ‘cracks’ but not immediately.

Most of the rest of the machine doesn’t seem to attract much ‘residue’, just parts of wood or acrylic that I missed picking up or got blown around somewhere. They vacuum up easily.

I have found that on acrylics, eucalyptus oil is by far the best. If I am engraving on wood, after trying various spirits and alcohols that are inclined to “wash” the residue into the timber, that a good quality furniture wax is as good as anything.

my engravings???

It’s best to prevent it with transfer tape in the first place.

I have used caustic cleaner (Purple Power, Krud Cutter, Simple Green) before to handle that residue from inside the laser. You have to take care, as it will erode things like honeycomb tables if left on there long enough (eats aluminum oxide).

On many of my engravings, I use steel wool to get rid of the glass shards.

I’m just trying to point out that it depends on the material… :crazy_face:

what material do u use sir

@soorya_sh , I believe mahogany is the wood that needs to be cleaned.

Wood is an amazingly diverse material, perfect for your laser engraving and cutting projects. But one huge disadvantage to using wood is the residue that is left behind after the laser cutting/engraving process, which can leave unsightly marks behind.

So the question is how do you clean laser cut/engraved wood? We use multiple methods:

1. using hand soap
  2. light sanding
  3. using white vinegar
  4. Marking tape the engraved area
  5. Protect the wood

Method 1: Using a natural hand cleaner

So you’ll want to start by sourcing a hand cleaner that is waterless and has no toxic chemicals or ammonia. A soft brush and some paper towels.

Place some of the hand cleaning detergent onto a soft brush and then use it to gently clean the surface.

Check as you go along to ensure the wood is residue-free using a paper towel to give it one last polish.

Method 2: light sanding

For those of you who are more confident with DIY, we would recommend lightly sanding the engraved area.

Sanding down your product will help remove residue left from the engraving and cutting process providing you with a cleaner and more professional-looking finish.

If sanding down on a flat surface, wrap the sandpaper around a wooden block. Instead of using your hand. It will create a more even finish.

Caution: Don’t use the sanding method on painted wood as it might scratch the paint and leave you with an ugly surface.

Method 3: Using white vinegar

For this method, you will need a paper towel and white vinegar. To clean your laser engraved wood, dab your paper towel in vinegar (you can also use a soft piece of cloth) and then use it to wipe off the residue on your wood.

Simply repeat the process until you are satisfied with the result.

Method 4 - Masking Tape

Masking tape is a fantastic and simple tool for any laser engraver as it protects the surface from the smoke residue left behind when you’re laser cutting and engraving.

It makes a much clean final outcome and reducing finishing time thereafter. It also gives you a more professional finished product.

If you would like your item covered with masking tape before engraving, feel free to discuss this option with one of our laser technicians.

Method 5 - Reduce the laser power.

We can reduce the laser power during the engraving process and engrave over the same design 2, 3, 4, even 5 times. By engraving on a lower power setting it will reduce the amount of debris released during the laser engraving process. Reducing finishing time. This is particularly useful when engraving woods with high contents of sap and natural oils.

Unfortunately, this is a more costly process as the engraving time is increased significantly.

Source: How do you clean laser engraved wood? — Laser Engraving Service

Good Luck :four_leaf_clover: :+1:

Cheers :beers:

Sas