How to setup a new diode laser unit 15w

I have the GRBL parameters set properly and have matched them to the Lightburn parameters but the laser, although it gives off light, has no effect on the material to be engraved.

What I’m trying to say is you are not cutting the acrylic from the laser… it heats whatever is black, that heat melts the acrylic … if this were not the case, clear or any color would work.

Commonly referred to as the indirect method…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Jack. I have seen video’s about cutting black acrylic and some say it is not a problem, other say it is. I will change the $31 value and see what will happen. I’ll let you know.

There are many questions about different kinds of diode lasers. I have ordered the latest 10W model for the 3018 from lasertree.com. and I will compare the Lasertree with the Vevor model with different materials, that should be interesting.

BTW, I did do several tests to focus the Vevor laser, it hardly cuts but it does a good job with engraving at lower settings. I will compare the 3018 Vevor with the 3018 Lasertree model and I’m very curious what that will do.

Thanks for your help and suggetions!

I agree with you there but direct or indirect, as long as it does the job and gives me a clean cut, I’m happy.

Thanks for the explanation Jack, that makes perfect sense :+1:

It does and that’s why some colours work and others don’t.

I have tried with different $31 settings, from a value of 100 up to 1000 but it didn’t change the results unfortunately.

Can’t argue with success… agree completely. I’ve seen some pretty nice artwork with clear acrylic using tempera paint as the indirect component.

$31 question piqued my curiosity… I found this hunting around… seems to explain the $31 variable…

Anyway I’m content… next time I get the grbl machine out, I’ll hang a scope off it and see what happens…

I’ve looked at that too, thanks for checking. The funny thing is that I thought the laser light was brighter but I guess not. It felt like when changing the value the laser was constantly on 100% but I couldn’t see any better cutting results.

I’ve also used the focus check and it’s the best I can do. Still I don’t understand why this 15W (output) laser performes so much worse than the Creality 10W laser. While the creality could cut 3 mm plywood in one pass with 350 at 90%, this new Vevo 15W (output) needs 5 passes on 150 at 100% to get the same results. So there must be something wrong at this end. I have ordered a brandnew model of a 10W lasertree unit, also for the 3018 CNC so I can compare.

Be a good question for the vendor… all they can say is no…

Might be a bad laser module, it does happen…

To check this stuff, you really need some kind of instument besides your eyes for intensity…

I hang a scope off it and it tells me a number of items about the waveform…

Yep, I just asked them, told them the issue plus asked friendly for support or product return…

You are right but I don´t have those instruments…

I have removed the adjustable lens, to check if it needed cleaning. When I looked at the inside, I saw this (picture). Is that how a normal lens should look with half of it covered in the circle? It probably is but I just wanted to be sure…

I suspect you have a focus problem. The diode lasers that you can focus can be a pain in the butt to keep spot on…just like my K-40. If you get even a little out of focus, your cut ability goes way down. I suggest you set it up carefully at say 5mm focus distance from object and lock it there. Then get a precise 5mm piece of lucite or metal and always use it to focus by manipulating your Zed axis… Get a 4mm and a 3mm sample as well,to,center focus on deeper cuts.

1 Like

My understanding is that diode modules are only approx 5 watt and in order to get 10 watt you use two diodes and a mirror to combine the two beams into the lense, so that piece across the lense may be a 45 degree mirror from the second module.

1 Like

Thats what I thought too but I followed the tests as mentioned in the video below plus I ran the Lightburn focus tests. I think I have the optimal focus settings but the results are still very disappointing, useless for cutting even easy thin material…

Thanks Ralph, that makes sense!

Lasertree seems to be pretty reputable . I ordered a K30 due to my factory 10 w lasers after about 1 month wont engrave Rowmark Ada signs even after 3 passes. K30 will be here tomorrow. I figured more power with diode will give me more options and I can always turn it down. It claims to cut 15mm black acrylic @ 35mm p min.

I have ordered the new Laser Tree 10W 3018 laser unit. Supposed to arrive today. I will share my findings here compared to the 2 other lasers I have worked with. I am looking forward to find out how the K30 will work compared to its claims!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.