I am really new to this community. I have a Longer Ray5 10W laser

I tried calling Longer but no one has answered or called me back since this morning.
Can you try tohelp me? Please!!!
When I was trying to frame my project on LIghtburn it sounded like what my husband said was strutting??? Now it sounds like the gears are grinding and the laser will not move.
I am not sure what to do next and neither does my husband. Any ideas?
Terri Hoyt

Earlier I had this come up on the controller section as well. I found something on here about the pwer source might be bad so I am going to try and fix that but it has since disapeared from my controller screen.
Terri Hoyt
(ALARM:3) hOW DO i FOND REHOMING???

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

1 Like

It’s much faster to post publicly than to send a direct message. We have several volunteer enthusiasts that answer questions here.

I’ll look to make sure I’m not duplicating their efforts and move this into a public channel for discussion.

First tip, the screws shake loose on these machines. Test each and every small screw that you’d find in the pulleys.

I’m not certain but I think you may have a Negative Coordinate Machine.

I Don’t have this machine in front of me so I don’t know if it has the capability of Homing and how the Setup was done.

Lightburn can import an Lbset (settings), or an Lbdev (device) file written by the manufacturer of your engraver. This way, manufacturers can share the way their engravers work by directly inputting their settings. Not all manufacturers are using this tool. I’ll have a look for this file.

The video offered in this other reply may be really helpful:

My machine does not have limit switches so cannot have it home. I do it manually with the arrow keys on the MOVE section.
Now my laser will only move left to right.

1 Like

I do not have a negative workspace.

This procedure will set the proper home position & coordinates:

Without home switches, the controller assumes the laser head is in the home position when it starts up, so you must place it there before you turn on the power.

That’s the only time you should shove the laser head around by hand, though. Always use the Jog buttons to move the head, so the controller can keep track of where it is.

2 Likes

There are a few things that prevent motion along the Y-Axis (front to back on the machine) up / down on the screen.

From the engraver back to the controller, here’s a list of things to check.

If the motor makes some noise please confirm the following:

• Check the Gantry to confirm that it’s square to the frame of the machine and it moves freely by hand. Do this slowly to avoid damage to the motor driver.
  • Confirm the belt doesn’t slip on the motor pulley.
  • Confirm the screws are tight in the motor pulley with the Allen Key or Hex key wrench. There is often a flat part of the shaft that the end of one of the screws touches.

If the motor is silent (or nearly silent) Unplug the laser module (at the laser module) and test the following:

• Check the wiring between the motor and the controller to see if it broke near the crimped connectors.
  • Check the wiring between the motor and the controller to see if it’s plugged into the correct port in the control board.

If you’ve checked the above and the issue is unresolved, there is one last thing to check.

• Check that the motor driver in the control board is intact and working by temporarily swapping the X-Axis cable and the Y-Axis cable at the control board.

• If the not-working motor is now on the X-Axis and doesn’t respond to Y-Axis commands (or moves), AND
    • If the Y-axis motor works and moves with X-Axis commands (or moves) the driver chip in the control board may have failed. If the driver chips are on removable modules they are not awful to replace. If the driver chips are soldered directly to the board these can be challenging to repair. Replacing the controller may be the best option.
  • If both motors mysteriously start working it’s remotely possible that a broken wire may be temporarily making contact. Wiggle the cable end at the controller while commanding the motor to move.

• If neither motor works the test is inconclusive and more than one problem is present. Replacing both motor drive cables may be a good next-step beore repeating this diagnostic path.

Make sure to put the cables back where they are supposed to be (correctly) when you are done for the day. This will help reduce confusion when you return to repairing the engraver with new parts.

Motor failures are very uncommon. I may have seen one in my time here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.