I don't know what I'm doing

HomeBrew is a package manager and you have to install it as it’s not an Apple product. I’m curious how it can install a package into the os without root authority.

I read about it and the install here…

:smile_cat:

Location of avrdude is likely to be something like this. I can’t confirm this on a Mac at the moment:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude

Can you copy this file, add a .txt extension and upload here?

/Users/Daddy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/grbl/config.h

I want to confirm that the file you have has been properly modified. I confirmed compilation earlier from the same file so know for certain it was working.

Is ‘find’ a standard supplied utility for the Mac?

:smile_cat:

Yes. I believe it is. But the way Mac apps are packaged and distributed makes this somewhat unnecessary in this case. The Arduino.app folder is a folder that’s a part of the meta application. To a user, that folder looks like an App that can be moved (ie installed) into the Applications folder. The file will be located somewhere in that folder.

Macs ship with a full filesystem indexing solution called Spotlight but I believe either doesn’t index app contents or doesn’t make it searchable, at least by default.

Well, I didn’t get a chance to try those commands on my Mac. But in talking with a co-worker he offered to trade some work for a windows based computer. So, I’ll probably take him up on that and just download the Benbox software.
However, with all of the support I’ve encountered here, once I upgrade to a different laser, I’m sold on LightBurn.
Thanks for all the help.

If you have access to the Windows computer you could try installing from LaserGRBL as well.

1 Like

Good point. Thanks again!

I was so surprised that you lasted this long with trying to figure out a solution. I would have gotten me a windows laptop … But good for you that you stuck it out.

1 Like

Well again, thanks to everyone here who gave input and helped me on this one. However, I was swindled. The issue is not due to firmware or software (finally able to flash GRBL to the Arduino Nano!)
My friend and I got the laser up and running on my Mac and were able to see my dollar values and such and still every time I power on the laser it comes on full power and won’t shut off. Best I can tell (YT videos of the same problem) is that there is an open between the gnd and tx on the control board.

So… next question… any recommendations for an inexpensive replacement g code controller?? I’m trying to research on my own but per the title of this thread… I don’t know what I’m doing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh! And ultimately it was a driver setting that was stopping me from flashing GRBL. Thanks again!

1 Like

It’s possible that your hardware is sufficiently old that it’s using the old GRBL pinouts.

Do you have a meter you can use to test continuity? If so, check the signal wire of the laser module and see if it maps to pin 12 on the Arduino. If so, that’s the reason for the constant on.

Move that wire to pin 11 to override the behavior.

1 Like

That is very possible, the BenBox firmware on it was from 2015. I have a multimeter and will check that out. Thank you for the suggestion!

If the photo loads correctly, the two points circled in red have continuity.
It is the RH side of the L where it has RX/TX/POW/L to what looks like pin D12.
That all looks internal to the board to me though, like I wouldn’t be able to change it…

Check the ‘+’ pin on the Laser port and see if it has continuity with D10, D11, and D12. If it’s anything other than D11 then it’s not wired for later GRBL releases.

In that case, you could break the trace currently going to ‘+’ and then jumper a wire from D11 to + to potentially get this to work.

Would be good to test with a more temporary solution if that ends up being the case.

You’re talking about this laser port in the top left correct?
It has continuity to the pins in the yellow block + to + and - to - but I can’t get it to ring to D11 or D12…

Yes. Not the outcome I was expecting though. Can you check the negative post and see if it has continuity to GND on the arduino?

After that, I suggest you do a voltage test for PWM on the Arduino.

Run a job with varying power levels in LightBurn while checking voltage between D11 and GND. 0% power should correlate to basically 0V. 100% power should correlate to 5V. You don’t need your laser connected when you do this.

If that works, then try rigging up something that allows you to go from D11 to the + side of the laser cable connector going to the laser module and GND to the - side. Test to see if power can be modulated. You can use the Fire button in Move window to test this.

(-) laser post does not ring to anything on the Arduino board. Intermittently the + rings to gnd on the Arduino. Very intermittent. Which is leading me to believe even if it were a pin out issue there could be deeper issues in the board.

Odd. Is there a specific model number printed on the board?

Suggest you test for PWM in any case. You may be able to circumvent the laser port entirely.

Looks proprietary to Eleks Maker?
I’ll see if I can do the PWM check and let you know what the results are.

Maybe a dumb question… but how do I set up a job to have different power settings?