I put homing switches on my laser. Now the X,Y axis does not move When I home

I’m guessing your machine dimensions are not 1000mm x 1000mm. If they are then disregard.

If they are not then change these values to match your dimensions:
$130=[x-dimension]
$131=[y-dimension]

Then to fix your offset do this:
$10=0 ; this will have your machine report work coordinates, not machine coordinates.
G10 L2 P1 x-[x-dimension] y-[y-dimension] ; replace with what you used for $130, $131

OK…I changed the dimensions, updated $10 to 0
I typed in G10 L2 P1 x265 y260
no change. What was supposed to happen?

This should be:

G10 L2 P1 X-265 Y-260

Note the negative signs. This will put the lower left at 0,0 so that LightBurn can function correctly.

Send back output of these commands please:
$#
?

ok…tried again…now it likes it

[G54:-265.000,-260.000,0.000]

[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[TLO:0.000]

[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000:0]
?

<Idle|WPos:1.810,1.802,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:-265.000,-260.000,0.000>

Is that screenshot with the laser head in the upper right? Did you just hit get position? If so, that’s not what I expected.

Home again and do:
?

Also take screenshot with get position. I want to compare values.

I homed the machine. The laser head is in the upper right position. I took the screen shot. I had to stop for the night. I will redo tomorrow and let you know the results. Thank you for all your help.

Okay. For reference, not sure why but you may have to double the X Y offset.

G10 L2 P1 X-530 Y-520

Basically, you want the lower left to read as 0,0.

ok…shouldn’t the upper right (home position) be 0,0? Or am I misunderstanding what is going on?

No. LightBurn expects a positive coordinate system to function correctly. This is in contrast to most CNC machines that work in a negative coordinate system. So even with the machine homing to the upper right we want the lower left to be 0,0.

I re-read your earlier post about flashing the firmware attachment you included. There is a sentence in there about changing the config.h file to "set the 0 after homing. Is my issue going to need the config.h file updated?

v1.1h, custom, XY Homing 20190830

This firmware comes from master branch of gnea/grbl aligned to the commit of 30 august 2019.

This firmware was compiled with some changes to file config.h to perform homing only on XY and to set “zero” after homing cycle.

// NOTE: Defaults are set for a traditional 3-axis CNC machine. Z-axis first to clear, followed by X & Y. // #define HOMING_CYCLE_0 (1<<Z_AXIS) // REQUIRED: First move Z to clear workspace. // #define HOMING_CYCLE_1 ((1<<X_AXIS)|(1<<Y_AXIS)) // OPTIONAL: Then move X,Y at the same time. // #define HOMING_CYCLE_2 // OPTIONAL: Uncomment and add axes mask to enable // NOTE: The following are two examples to setup homing for 2-axis machines. #define HOMING_CYCLE_0 ((1<<X_AXIS)|(1<<Y_AXIS)) // NOT COMPATIBLE WITH COREXY: Homes both X-Y in one cycle. // #define HOMING_CYCLE_0 (1<<X_AXIS) // COREXY COMPATIBLE: First home X // #define HOMING_CYCLE_1 (1<<Y_AXIS) // COREXY COMPATIBLE: Then home Y // Number of homing cycles performed after when the machine initially jogs to limit switches. // This help in preventing overshoot and should improve repeatability. This value should be one or // greater. #define N_HOMING_LOCATE_CYCLE 2 // Integer (1-128) // Enables single axis homing commands. $HX, $HY, and $HZ for X, Y, and Z-axis homing. The full homing // cycle is still invoked by the $H command. This is disabled by default. It’s here only to address // users that need to switch between a two-axis and three-axis machine. This is actually very rare. // If you have a two-axis machine, DON’T USE THIS. Instead, just alter the homing cycle for two-axes. // #define HOMING_SINGLE_AXIS_COMMANDS // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable. // After homing, Grbl will set by default the entire machine space into negative space, as is typical // for professional CNC machines, regardless of where the limit switches are located. Uncomment this // define to force Grbl to always set the machine origin at the homed location despite switch orientation. #define HOMING_FORCE_SET_ORIGIN // Uncomment to enable.

Which file did you end up flashing? If you loaded the firmware I indicated then that was already set. It needs to be done at compile time. It’s not a runtime configuration.

It won’t be an issue once we get your offset sorted. Did you try the updated G10 command?

I couldn’t get that version to work. so I downloaded a fresh GRBL 1.1 from github and edited the config.h file to disable the Z homing.

I won’t be able to get back to the machine until tomorrow.

Okay. That explains the offset. But it honestly doesn’t matter once the offset is set since you won’t be changing it again. Would be more of a problem for CNC work.

ok. I will get the info for you in the morning.

I turned the machine on (it was in the home position from last night)
I launched LB, it re-homed the machine.
?
<Idle|WPos:1.792,1.806,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:-265.000,-260.000,0.000>

Okay, try running this to correct the offset.

Lower left should effectively be 0,0.

You’ve got a little funky homing position so if you want to make it absolutely read 0,0 instead of somewhere close then try this.

The funky homing position is due to the 1.8 mm bump-off I set for the homing switches. If I set “go to position” to 0,0, it will move from the 1.8 to 0 but the stops will be triggered. I don’t know if it should be set so that after it bumps off the switches the 1,8mm, that position should effectively be the 0,0. What is your opinion?
I’m running a small job now and it seems to be working ok.

also, if I type in “move to position” x263 y258 (compensating for the 1.8mm bump off, the laser moves to the bottom left corner. Isn’t that what it is supposed to do?

You definitely want it to pull-off from the switches to avoid accidental triggers. I’d say set your soft limits on and make sure working size is small enough not to impede into the switches.

What? No. 263,258 should now be your top-right. 0,0 should be bottom left.

Are your jogging controls all working correctly? Does the burn match orientation on-screen? What is Origin set to in Device Settings?

Can you take a screenshot after homing again with get-position? And also run ? in console…