I think I'm confused about "Copy Along Path"

I’d never used the Copy Along Path tool, so I thought I’d mess with it for a minute.
I didn’t get what I expected…

Using LightBurns shape tools, I drew a circle, a rectangle, and a polygon. I converted each shape to a path. Then I created a small circle, stuck it on the large circle and requested 12 copies. Yup, works great.
So I did the same for the rectangle and the polygon and also requested 12 copies. I did NOT get what I was expecting…

Screenshot attached. The red arrows point to the original circle that I wanted copied.
Is this normal behavior?

Linux Mint 19.3
LightBurn 0.9.19

I haven’t played with it that much, but Copy Along Path somehow takes the relative location of the copied object and the destination path.

In your example, the source circle is offset to the left of the square, and the copy along path is affected by the offset. It works on the original circle because it’s essentially zero offset.

Hmm. Well, that was an interesting thought so I started a new file and drew just the square and tried it.
Got the exact same weird result.

You need to identify the starting point of the object to copy along and paste your object to copy near or on it. (I think).

Sigh.
Thanks Jeff, the starting point was the problem.
And the sad part is that apparently I already knew that months ago because I posted in the thread that you linked! What a joy it is to get old and senile…

Thanks!

Don’t feel old and senile (unless we both are). I was making an ornament design last week where I was creating a ring of circles on a path, and I ran into the same issue. I searched the forum and found a thread that I posted in (and was reminded of the starting point).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.