Illusive Chuck Rotary Set Up

Boy ain’t that the truth.

I will take the motor out today and verify. The sticker says it is a DM545A as well as my manual. I will remove it and check. You are correct, the diameter is definitely affecting the revs - and it should not. The struggle/frustration is REAL. I have some new Champagne Flutes I really want to engrave for our Limo Business, sigh.

DM545A is the microstep driver I believe. Diameter affecting revs in test is very puzzling.

I did install a new controller right after I received my machine - didn’t have a clue what I was doing - still don’t at times. :slight_smile: I did not change the anything on the motor. Maybe, my setting are incorrect in the controller? Since the motor indicates 5000 by the dip switches and my original manual states a default of 4000. I will go out to the shop and check those settings.

Don’t think this will help. You can measure one side and tell the type… NEMA motors are specified by inches on a side.

These are both pdf files, the txt extension allows me to post them easily… make sure you remove it…

Data-Sheet-Stepper-Motor-Support.pdf.txt (839.0 KB)

m545-motor-driver.pdf.txt (307.2 KB)

There are values within the Ruida configuration information to tell it how far this stuff moves… This may be an issue of the basic setup of the motor driver/controller information.

Agreed, this is something a bit odd… Are they pressing test when they do this?

This is the motor.

Still no luck with the rotary set up in LightBurn.

SO TODAY, I decided to try something else. Not a perfect solution. I changed the machine step length settings for the Y axis. Simply doubled what I had and it worked. I had to flip my picture to make it a mirrored image. Sent it to the laser and then manually set the X axis, pressed “origin” then play. It worked…

Here are the instructions that came with my rotary - in case anyone needs/wants them.

Question? should I get another stepping motor and install it on the U axis of the controller? My controller supports a U axis. Thoughts?

This is the motor driver… the motor has the pulley and stuff on it… Close enough … :crazy_face:

What model of Ruida do you have. As far as I know, it only works off the U axes on a 6445 with the proper firmware…

Regardless, unless you are lucky, you will encounter the same issue… It appears to be how it’s configured with the Ruida…

Maybe @ednisley can help with that…

:smile_cat:

I would agree, I play with microstep drivers and stepper motors and that is not a behavior that is likely. What is pictured is a microstep driver or a digital stepping driver (same thing) btw.

I have the RDC6445G.

It should work, but it’s a separate axes, like Z, so you wouldn’t gain anything.

You could wire up the current motor driver to that axes… but less people do it that way, so less experience on-line.

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.