I'm not sure which way to go

I have a few of them around (coasters) I might give it a shot… they sure produce a lot of debris when they are done with the laser…

Didn’t notice so much with the co2… I did a lot of these on a small $80 led machine…

The Blake coasters look fine…

Good luck … we’ll be watching :wink:

:smile_cat:

Thanks Man. When the TN guy does some, if he can produce a good pic, I’ll post it. Probably going to order the Monport 30w Fiber Monday. I need a nudge to get it done…

LOL

1 Like

nudge, nudge…

Have fun…

Totally agree with Jack, go for it, I Iove my fiber galvo, it is great fun

Kind of bummed out on this guys results in East Tn with his 30w Monport Fiber.

I guess I may have to go CO2 Fiber -vs- straight galvo fiber…

Ugggggg

I emailed him the logo for it and he attempted to run it. His coaster material looks a lot different in color than mine.

Of course, it could have been the coasters, operator, etc…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17gWevDd8yUupmE1ibSnwM7PJ6ScACnG0/view?usp=sharing

I think Jack had a fair idea… load up with 3 or 4 diode lasers for the coasters. Cheap entry and it’ll kick some coasters out! I’ll give cork a try with my fiber later today…

IMHO, the fiber is burning the binder in the coaster, not the cork itself…

Seems to be the case with wood and wood products… I’ve had it blown holes in the mdf, I’m sure it’s the glue…

Let us know how you do… don’t forget to include the lens, speed, power, frequency and q-pulse… I might try it again, if you get anything usable.

Agreed Jack. It probably is the binder. Personally in my head I think it can be done with the right settings, but then again, I don’t have a fiber in front of me to prove it.

Matter of fact, when I first tried to “engrave” a coaster for a friend of mine, it was a disaster. It damn near caught fire, because of the pwr setting I was using.

That’s how I got to this point of being able to “mark” NOT “engrave” my coasters. The image below is what Jason had done a while back on a coaster. Different material in the coaster itself -vs- mine, but he still was able to “mark” it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VAG8a0NfAP5oREHAdnngvypi0G8tyXZ6/view?usp=sharing

Heck if I get the monport 30w fiber, I can at least speed up my tumbler process. Right now, each tumbler takes me around 5 minutes to process, and get a good marking on it.

My coaster settings on my 55w CO2 is 230 @ 19 pwr, and I get good results.

Thanks Texas for the input and suggestion. I really don’t want to mess around with those Diode Lasers. I’ll have to assemble them, work out a fume exhaust system for them, etc… I’m already “kind of” cramped in my work shop as it is.

I’ll probably get the 30w Monport. They’re giving me a decent discount on it since I had so many issues with my rotary experience a month or so ago. I figure if I can cut my tumbler engraving down by 50% it will be well worth it.

1 Like

You will have to do the same with the fiber… cork coasters will produce as much smoke on the fiber as it does on the co2…

Did you ask your friend what settings he’s using on the fiber… and how long it takes? How about for a mug?

One more thought, I’m running 300mm/s, 25% power and 0.1 interval for cups. A double sided cup usually takes me 3-4 minutes. Might be worth looking at your interval because I was north of 5 minutes to start with at 0.07 interval and 200mm/s. I didn’t lose quality speeding them up.

Hello Jack. Yeah, I’ve seen the smoke coming off those Fibers. I plan on sitting fairly close to my CO2 and just branch off of it for extraction. We didn’t go over too many details about when he did cork. I don’t think it’s one of his main products, and it was a while back he mentioned.

Tex, I haven’t had time to really test LPI and Speeds just due to the fact I need to process what I have. I know the two are tightly related to each other.

I can get that 30w and a 300mm lens for 2800.00 plus free shipping from Monport, so I figure I’ll get it. If I have to do more coasters and the fiber won’t do it for me, I’ll just use the CO2. Surely the fiber will speed up my tumbler processing with all things being equal over the CO2.

I need a backup solution as well. If my CO2 pukes, I’m screwed. The fiber may open up other revenue streams as well.

Sure it will, it will do metal annealing or engraving… many people do firearm slides and such with a fiber.

Which source does the monport use?

Raycus or jpt?

Raycus from what I understand.

This is the unit

https://monportlaser.com/collections/fiber-laser-engraver/products/monport-30w-fiber-laser-engraver

So here’s a test on cork. 64 seconds. Size is 1.25” diameter.
Low and slow is the only way to keep it from catching fire. :)) Stretching out the line interval to .1 doesn’t give the resolution on the words so had to back to 0.05.

Playing with the settings will dial it in but I think this shows it’s doable. :slight_smile:

Thanks Tex, for taking the time to test it. I really appreciate it. I know all cork is not created equal, but I think it’s doable until I’m wrong… LOL

Something I’ve never done and don’t understand the logic behind it, is the scan angle. What purpose or situation would arise where one should consider it?

Just like today. If I had another Laser, I could do these 600 bottle openers a bit more quickly…

You’ll love the fiber by the way! I’m having fun with mine. Go with the JPT M7 if you can. I did a lot of reading and seems like that’s the way to go right now. Mine is also MOPA. Figured the extra for color would be ideal.

Oh and on the scan angle, I’m not sure. I had it default to cross hatch (don’t do it on cork, it made a mess!) and 45 degrees. I just unchecked the cross hatch. I do business cards both ways and really can’t tell the difference. I defaulted to 0 degrees and single pass for the cards and it takes 9 seconds to do the ones I linked… 48 seconds for the eagle. I’ve had two orders (had my machine for a week and a half now!) at $75 per 100 cards. $50 for single sided. Not bad for the single sided stuff but not great for the photos. I’m trying not to offer those, just takes too long. :slight_smile:

I actually did a couple of my own anodized aluminum biz cards. I’ve only given one out, and it was to my current customer that gave me this order I’m working.

I’ll probably have to opt out for the Raycus on the Monport for now. I’ve already spent almost 2K on materials from China for orders this week. :slight_smile: And this is suppose to be a side hustle for me…

I’m the same way, I spend too much but it’s bringing cash back through the door so it works. Two years ago, I pulled $40K out of a rental house and dedicated it to my woodworking stuff. I bought a CNC machine (CAMaster Stinger III), some good saws, planer, joiner, sanders, etc. Since then, I added the 80W CO2 and the 60W Fiber and I’m back to $35K in that account. I’m making FAR more than I would have with the house and this is fun. :slight_smile: I still work 40-60 hours a week at my primary job and I’m a long way from being able to replace that income but honestly, if I advertised and created an online account through Etsy or something, I could probably get there in a few months. It’s amazing how much business pops because people just can’t get customized stuff or want to support local small business. People are just tired of the huge corporations and their unhealthy connection to our politicians. . . at least they are here in Texas and those are the folks that keep ordering more stuff from me. I don’t have a lot of customers that have ordered from me once, they have mostly come back for more. You just can’t get stuff like we build from the big stores. It’s a huge market that they’re not set up to handle and it makes for a great retirement or side gig for folks like us.

I’m just a small time dude. I have 4 customrs. 3 in Florida, now a new one here locally. Working out of a portable 14x30’ building behind my house. My wood working bowls and such wasn’t making much if anything. Between my lathe, grinder, band saw, floor space is at a premium. :wink:

I sell pens from wood found on the farm, but that’s pretty much it. Bought the 55w CO2 thinking I could add to it It’s working. Actually bought it to produce home decor, but that didn’t fly too much here. To be honest I didn’t quite put much into it, due to growing pains. This was before Jack and others instructed me on mirror alignment, air assist from that guy over the pond. I may give it a go again, but I have to get caught up first. Another reason for a 2nd machine.

Tumblers, keychains, slate coasters I’m selling. Hopefully engraved pens as well. I go into work at 4:30am. and usually bounce around 11’sh. I’m an I.T. guy for a small company with two sites.

The rest of the afternoon is mine, when I’m not mowing my yard, and my father in laws yard, and weed eating the property.

I lived in the Dallas area for 6 months long time ago. Enjoyed it. I was a lot younger too. Now I live out in the boonies on 35 acres. We live so far out in the country, we have to pump in daylight during thet day. I enjoy the quiet and peace though. I have a real good friend who I used to fly RC planes with that lives in Killeen Tx.

1 Like