Import DXF file from Freecad

I import a .DXF file from Freecad a simple square into lightburn. into Atomstack A10 pro.
Set layer 2 190 85% 1 pass. run the file
the laser cuts out the square 3 times.
I make the same square in lightburn and set the same layer 2 and the square runs 1 pass as it should.
I have some complex hydroplane parts to cut and would like to have a one pass operation.
Thanks
Donn

Did you check for duplicates?

Yes I deleted duplicates. Remember i created a square in lightburn and used the same layer settings and it was a 1 run pass

Sometimes I have imported them in and there are double lines. If you select a single line it looks different than a line with one on top of it.

Might select it and press delete and see if that changes or deletes it…

It’s kind of a trick to see this because the are perfectly aligned…

:smile_cat:

Can you post your DXF file for us to look at? BTW you’ll probably need to append ‘.TXT’ to the file name (after the .DXF extension) so the forum software doesn’t reject it.

1 Like

Feel free to also( along with the dxf file ) include the LightBurn project file after you’ve imported the dxf, adjusted your layer information then saved it.

With those two files we should be able to pinpoint what’s going on.

Today everything is working as it should. not sure what changed.

I have exactly this very problem and nothing I have done so far helps.

I sketch the part in FreeCAD then pad it.

No matter in which format I export (flattened SVG, DXF etc.) LB always does 3 to 5 times the whole cut (so if I say 5 passes it does 25).

I tried everything, including exporting just the sketch, working with LC Interlocking workbench, nothing works out. I just unnecessarily often cuts. I also do not understand why it is called Flattened SVG when i reality it is for from being flattened (if it has numerous lines on top of each other obviously).

I also personally feel that it shouldn’t be necessary to delete additional lines. Because even if I do that, the stupid thing just goes over it again and again. I just can’t figure it out how to do it right.

Can you upload the dxf file here.

I use freecad a lot and I have to flatten the svg or it won’t export.

I drew up a case for a flow meter, exported the lid svg to cut on the laser and 3d printed the case.

Everything fits fine…

Maybe a step by step procedure so we can duplicate what you are doing?

:smile_cat:

Here is what I finally did to make it work, I just re-did the whole thing from scratch in FreeCAD. I assume, there was some error in creating the CAD file in the first place.

For the more complex shapes (see below) I just broke the basic form apart in LightBurn (awesome, what it can do!) and drew some new lines to get to the shape.

Have not yet cut it but at least the preview looks good and works as expected.

Here’s the file

dice tray new.lbrn2 (86.1 KB)

1 Like

Looks like you found a hack to get by but maybe if you share the dxf or detail what you did in FreeCAD then someone can post a solution so you or others don’t need to hack the results?

I’ve seen someone post about this problem before…

1 Like

Sorry, of course you’re right. As my “hack” is somewhat based on community response it’s only fair to share my original file so maybe someone else can benefit from the solution (and I learn something :slight_smile: )

Here’s the dxf I created by exporting in FreeCAD to Autodesk flattened file:
export-dice-tray-BodyPad.dxf (44.5 KB)

1 Like

it is coming from FreeCAD with multiple/overlapping drawing elements. So now to find out how is this created/generated in FreeCAD.

Is it like this( only minus the dimension and extra stuff you don’t want since you’re using it for laser input)?

BTW, have you tried to export the sketch as a DXF file instead of padding it into a 3D object and then trying to export it? And don’t get me wrong, I’d still like to know how you exported the 3D object and got the DXF which had duplicates.

hm… not really sure, as this seems to be a technical drawing that is really made for being printed on paper (or for documentation).

I also tried to export from the sketch, didn’t work either. There must be a mistake somewhere in the creation process, because when I “re-created” the file (basically doing it again from scratch) it all worked out.

Oh man, THAT is exactly what happened with the original author of this thread. :confused:

Any chance you have the previous FreeCAD design file which generates the bad output? I would be willing to post to the FreeCAD forum what’s going on and some of the experts there might be able to see what glitching is going on.

2 Likes

didn’t know of this one, thanks a lot @Jimcoy

This means for me, that no matter how messy my original file is (because I’m a FreeCAD noob :wink: ) I can still clean it up in LightBurn.

I once again have to pad myself on the should for purchasing this software haha :smiley:

Not exactly. That tool will only delete true duplicates. When you made your initial post about this I tried applying this technique. Some of the duplicates were removed but not all the artifacts in the drawing were actually duplicates so were not removed.

In general, while this is a nice tool to help cleanup drawings I wouldn’t suggest relying on it in a production workflow.