Imported DXF files invisible on desktop workspace in Lightburn

New to lightburn and laser cutting/etching, however have been doing cnc cutting using my FoxAlien machine for about a year now.
The issue I am having is when I import a dxf file into lightburn, the image is invisible. If I run the machine, the image from the dxf file is being etched by the laser, so the dxf file is definitively there, simply invisible which of course means I can’t edit or locate the iamge on the workspace.
I am generating the dxf file from using AutoCAD 2024, and have saved as both as dxf 2013 and dxf 2004 files, neither of which yield a different result.
I’ve been using AutoCAD since 1998 as my primary business (architectural drafting), so my software is always up to date.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Have you checked to make sure the ‘Show’ toggle switch in the ‘cuts/layers’ palette isn’t turned off ?

I can confirm that the Show toggle is switched on.

Sorry I’m at a loss, others will come along soon to assist. In the meantime if you are able, please post the DXF file here.

Many times you can import (or open) something and it will be way off the work area and not be visible…

If you use zoom to frame selection zoom-to-frame-selection, it should show you the whole thing… It’s selected when you import it…

You can use Edit → Select all (^A) and also use the zoom to frame selection… it will show you everything…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Jack,
Thanks for this info. You were correct. I found the drawing about 5000mm from the center of the workspace.
A little odd since I built the design around 0,0 coordinates in AutoCad and assumed those coordinates would carry over, but in case that solved the problem.
Thanks much!

I don’t know what the dxf file really carries around with it…

If your machine is 0, 0 at one of the corners… it could drive the artwork outside of the work area.

This is especially true if it has a different origin corner.

Have fun

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.