Imported images etch with no detail

If I create an image in Lightburn it etches fine although with transverse lines.

If I import an image, it burns every line pass at seemingly full power ending up with no detail.

Lightburn can’t find the laser, so I set it up manually using GRBL.

Using Creality Print, all works fine but that software is limited.

On GRBL machines this is typically caused by the laser not being configured for Laser Mode ($32=1). Check for this in Edit->Machine Settings.

However, I’m questioning whether or not you actually have a GRBL controller. The machine listed in your profile is a Ender 3 S1 Plus. Does this not use Marlin firmware? If so, push Devices button in Laser window, and Edit your controller for Marlin.

You will also need to make sure that the “Laser Control Commands” value in Edit->Device Settings is set appropriately for your machine.

The Ender is supposedly configured with Marlin, but I can’t get it to control the head movement or laser firing using Marlin. I even dropped the baud rate down to 9600.
The “Find my Laser” does not find it.
Almost everything works with GRBL.

What does this mean? You’re saying that the head won’t move at all if configured for Marlin?

Did you select the appropriate “Laser Control Commands” in Edit->Device Settings for your machine? Which did you select?

In Device Settings, I’ve tried M106/M107, M03/M05 and Inline.

I restarted the laser every time and it does not connect with Marlin.

The console stays at “Waiting for connection”.

Okay. I didn’t understand this is what you were saying.

Do you know explicitly what baud rate your firmware is configured for? Marlin is typically 250,000 bps. What is the baud rate when you connect with GRBL?

If you can confirm the baud rate and that doesn’t work, try toggling “Enable DTR Signal” to see if that makes a difference.

GRBL works with 115,200 and 250,000.
Toggling “Enable DTR Signal” had no effect.

You tried every combination of baud and DTR signal?

If that doesn’t work, try this.

Instead of setting up your device as “GRBL” set it up as “GRBL-M3”. That will likely address the traversal lines issue and possibly your image issue depending on what was actually causing it.

One thing to review. Marlin machines typically have 8-bit range for S Value. I believe the default for a GRBL device is 1000. Check this in Edit->Device Settings. You likely want “S Value Max” to be 255.

“S Value Max” has been at 255 for weeks.

By using GRBL-M3, the transverse lines are gone but an image still burns the entire image field area. If I make a trace, it works fine (as it did with the standard GRBL setting).

As for the serial port for Marlin needing to be 250,000 …
In Device Manager, the highest setting for the com port being used is 115,200. I’m using a new Dell desktop.

For what it’s worth I can’t get it to connect at all with Lasergrbl.

Can you take a photo of this?

What does this mean?

I believe all modern serial ports don’t depend on the configuration in Device Manager.

What device type are you trying with LaserGRBL?

Bottom image is a Lightburn trace.
Top image is a standard, non-vectored etch from Lightburn.
Settings were the same for both.

When trying to connect with LaserGRBL, I’ve used GRBL and Marlin options with no luck connecting along with trying lower baud rates.

Any Gcode created with Creality Print on an SD works fine.

Can you upload the .lbrn file for the image version?

test1.lbrn (96.1 KB)

Try this. Go to Edit->Device Settings->GCode->Additional GCode Settings and enable “Use G0 moves for overscan”.

Then try burning the image. Does it now burn correctly?

No change.

From console …
Starting stream
Layer C00
echo:Unknown command: “M8”
echo:Unknown command: “GG0 X1.458”
echo:Unknown command: “GG0 X-0.3Y0.1”

Something doesn’t look right with this. I suspect you have a communication issue going on. Not sure why you’d be getting double Gs in the command.

Try changing the baud rate and retesting.

If for some reason that doesn’t work can you go to “Run Gcode” in Laser window and try running this file? You’ll need to change the extension to .gcode or some other type that LightBurn recognizes to do this.

test4.txt (48.0 KB)

Same results and same console responses.
Stuff like this is why people drink.
The lack of standardization in this business is mind boggling.
I’ve been in the hardware/software business for 35 years and have a patent in cybersecurity.
I have 2 clients that have similar setups as I do that are paying me to figure this out. Knowing their hardware and software costs are less than $800, they will not be able to comprehend why I’ll have to charge them $90/hour to get Lightburn to work with Creality. They watch YouTube videos showing how simple the setup is but when they start running, I get the calls to fix their systems. The support from Creality is a joke and I more than appreciate your help.

Did you also try the file I uploaded called test4.txt?

There are absolutely many variants in this space. GRBL has done a lot to bring some level of standardization. It’s Marlin implementations that have so much variation that makes it more difficult to support.

If there’s money on the line for this then honestly I’d suggest moving to a GRBL based solution if this is primarily for lasering. That will simplify everyone’s lives. Creality themselves have gone to a GRBL solution for their dedicated laser Falcon line. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them, however, as they seem to have some growing pains when it comes to their software implementation.

I ran your file with a .gcode extension and got the same results.
I’m going to tell my clients to bite the bullet and get a Falcon or xTool D1.
Both work well with Lightburn.
They were using the Ender S1 Plus for 3D printing and presumed adding the laser option would save them money by using the same machine. They were wrong.