Imported images getting rounded corners

Hey,

I’m quite new to laser engraving and still learning the ins and outs of everything but I have been 3D printing for years so have a decent understanding of the hardware side of things and working with GCode.

The problem I’m running into is that when I import an image into lightburn the hard corners are getting rounded. This causes a problem for me because some of my artwork I’m etching is pixel art and I need to keep those hard corners.

Each one is made up of several layers, etched at different speeds to change the shading. That’s why there are so many little rounded corners in the photo below.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this?

LightBurn uses bilinear filtering to resize images internally. If you want hard edges on pixel boundaries, the only way to do this at the moment is to scale the source up in an external application (like paint) to the correct dimensions & DPI using nearest-neighbor sampling. Then LightBurn won’t have to resize the input, and the pixel bounds would be preserved.

Thank you, that makes sense. I just noticed that I was getting different results based on the DPI of the image and started playing with that, getting much better results. So I’m good to go!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.