Importing from NAS on Linux (Mint)

I would love to love Linux, but every time I mess with it I have to do some obscure thing in the terminal. I assume the ARM processor you want to run it on is a raspberry pi? I must say, Raspberry Pi OS has given me the least amount of grief of all the distros I’ve tried, even on my old macbook. It ran K40 whisperer, and accessed network drives, without a hitch.

Precisely on the Pi. That would make it compelling for me and make things interesting.

I haven’t tried Raspberry Pi OS but I believe it’s a Debian derivative so has a solid foundation. How well Linux distros work for you is almost always directly related to that distros core focus and how well it matches your specific needs and workflow.

I grew up in the terminal so appreciate the efficiency and power in it. It makes hard things doable but makes even simple things difficult for those unfamiliar. I’d rather there be a good way to do it from terminal than a bad way on GUI. But these days I’d rather there just be a good way to not have to do it at all.

exactly why I was PISSED when Microsoft paid Corel money for something and included the requirement to shut down all Linux work( including Corel Linux Desktop and all WordPerfect suite of applications ). Corel Linux did a fantastic job of having GUIs for all the configuration settings.

I just searched for HowTo’s for setting up SMB/SAMBA shares on Linux Mint and was surprised to see so much diving into the commandline and text files. I have no problem with that but Windows users have been moved away from the DOS prompt long ago and how many do you think even know what ten finger typing is. All those commandline operations can be done with a GUI if someone writes one.

maybe this one would do the trick, I’ve not tried it yet. Smb4K / Home / Home
and maybe this one: How to share a folder from a Linux data center with this easy Samba GUI - TechRepublic

Yes, Raspberry Pi OS is based on Debian and was formerly call Raspian (because of course it was).

I briefly used DOS as a kid, but all I knew how to do was launch commander keen and lemmings from a floppy disk.

I’m just glad this is all working now. I don’t have a ton of time to work on this and I would rather spend that time making smoke then being a terminal script kiddie. Now it’s time to do a quick and dirty power check and try to rush out some ornaments.

1 Like

At least you had your priorities straight.

Enjoy and have a nice holiday.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.