In-house vacuum system for venting

To get rid of the strong smell of burnination from laser engraving in my small basement office slash mad scientist laboratory, I decided to see what the house’s built-in vacuum system would do. My laser is just a little Creality attachment on my old Ender 3 printer, but the tiny fan and also tiny carbon filter don’t do much about the smell.

As a test I positioned the vacuum hose about six inches behind where the laser’s tiny fan blows out. This actually works way better than I expected - there’s hardly any smell now. Not a permanent solution, and I wouldn’t use it for 3d printing because the vacuum shouldn’t run for hours on end, but for 15-minute engravings it seems like a great workaround until I can setup more elaborate air extraction.

Use caution with this. It is possible that a hot ember makes it’s way through the system to the vacuum, smolders and starts a fire. Dust can be highly flammable.

3 Likes

Good point - thanks! The vacuum hose is 30 ft long and I’m just surface-etching faux leather for now, so not too much of a concern short term. The permanent system will use smooth vent pipe to go outside, and considering what you said I’ll add a metal screen on it. Cheers.

Be careful with faux leather. It seems it emesis poisonous fumes…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.