In need of advice - S30 Pro - Settings

Hi everyone.

I’ve recently purchased a Sculpfun S30Pro (10W). I’ve tested different cutting settings on different materials. Usually my tests are on a small surface (like a small circle).

I’m having difficulties when I try cutting larger projects in plywood. Some parts of the project are perfectly cut while some areas remain uncut. I have tried cleaning the lens and diminishing the speed but the cutting is starting to take a lot of time and even after 3 trials, I couldn’t manage to obtain a satisfying result.

I checked online for tips and found some practical guides. For instance > 480mm/min
1 passes power 100% Air On for cutting 3 mm plywood. But this doesn’t work for me (even at 240 mm/min), there are still a lot of parts that remain attached to the board.

If anyone has some tips to help me overcome these problems (or some personnal settings to share), I’d be really thankful.

Thanks in advance.

Small motions don’t allow enough room for the machine to reach whatever speed you think you’ve set, so you may settle on absurdly fast speeds that seem to work. When allowed more room to accelerate, the machine will move faster and the cuts no longer go through the material.

Run Material Tests on larger pieces (you now have plenty of scrap, right? :frowning_face: ) to get a better idea of how the machine behaves. Think of using material for tests as “gaining information” rather than “wasting material” and it’ll be easier.

Absolutely nothing replaces actual tests with your laser on your material.

2 Likes

For 3 mm birch plywood, a rough estimate for cutting would be 600 mm/min, 90%, 4 passes.
You need to get used to it and try different settings and be aware about the effects Ed mentioned.

Here are some further tips:

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers. I’ve received my honeycomb panel this week and it helped improving my cutting a lot ! I’m going to continue the testing but the honeycomb panel is a game changer.