Inability to get a matchbook air to communicate with lighter

Connection problems with LightBurn

I recently purchased a LightBurn subscription to use with my Atomstack A20 Pro V2 laser engraver, but I’m having trouble getting LightBurn to send data to the laser.

I’m using a MacBook Air running Tahoe 26.5.2 and connecting via USB. However, I keep receiving the following message: “Connection failed. There was a problem sending data to the laser. The machine may be busy or paused.”

I believe I purchased LightBurn about three weeks ago and have tried several methods to get it working, but without success. What is confusing is that my Atomstack laser also came with a link to its native software, Atomstack Studio, and my computer communicates with the laser through that software without any issue. Two days ago, LightBurn did connected successfully for about two hours, but after I turned the computer off, I was unable to reconnect when I turned it back on, despite numerous attempts.

I have also tried replacing the USB cable with a brand-new one, but this has not resolved the issue.

At this stage, I am out of options and would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message. I look forward to hearing from you.

Do not know if this is relevant in your case, but late model machines with USB-C ports fail to communicate with USB-C connected to a USB 2.0 board (most laser controller boards). It appears IOS will not automatically downshift from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 for the controller on a USB-C to USB-C cable.

The solution has been to install a dirt cheap USB-A hub between the computer and the laser.
So it goes C-A-hub-A-C, and this forces IOS to downshift. Still need to use quality USB cables with ferrites on them.