Is lightburn capable of basic Blueprinting?

I use CorelDraw to draw blueprints and cutting data. Is a cheap, fast and easy to draw solution as a CAD.

Labeling for parts and there are many factory parts as well as parts that do not exist.

I have not given up , its just that these type of programs drain my patience. I am terrible at anything from paint to photoshop CAD , CAM , lightburn. For those that can install these programs and figure them out on your own is very impressive to me. Everything i do in Automotive has no computer. Airflow research consists of a straight grinder, carbide bits and in some cases a Flow bench. Maybe some putty to fill a port to see if you can pick up velocity. Alot of the old factory heads have ports that are too big. Machinist work is all manual. Lathes, drill press, etc. Engine blueprinting is all hand tools, Dial calipers, micrometers, rod bolt stretch gauge, feeler gauge. Automotive painting is just a few spray guns and a 5hp compressor or better.

Solid Edge looks very promising. Seems like what im looking to use. In the first few minutes i was able to make shapes with measurements like drafting. thank u for pointing this out. Seems odd this program is not more popular. This is the first time hearing about it.

1 Like

Solid Edge is pretty expensive, I think; maybe $5k or more. You might want to consider something like one of the Alibre versions, which are currently on sale and have perpetual licenses if you don’t want to pay for annual maintenance fees. Their Atom3D (at $150) is intended for hobbyists but would probably handle your pickup requirements just fine. The Professional and Expert versions ($800 and $1400) have more features, but you probably don’t need those.

One side note, though: are you sure that Vulcanex can be safely and cleanly laser cut? Oliner is apparently the maker or a supplier of Vulcanex and their web site has this to say about recommended practices for fabricating with Vulcanex:

I don’t see any mention of laser cutting in that document.

To be fair, there is a free offering called Solid Edge 2D Drafting that’s available which @RalphU linked to.

If price and freedom is a factor then something like LibreCAD - Free Open Source 2D CAD would probably more than suffice for these needs.

Or alternatively, just work within LightBurn as the design specifications seem well within the capabilities.

All the pieces i have ordered from mojotone are laser cut

laser cut 5 string Jazz bass flatwork from guitar parts outlet. you can see the residue from laser. Factory flatwork is hydraulicly press cut.

The surface finish looks a little funky to me.

A steel rule die might handle that sort of part, at least in short run quantities. A die for that part would probably run $150 or less. Of course, you’d need a press and a new die for each different part geometry so tooling costs could add up quickly. A CNC router or mill should be handle to handle that sort of part also if you get tired of laser cutting them.

I started on CAD back in 1984 with Cascade Graphics and then AutoCad 2.5 (5-1/4" floppy disc). Lightburn is way ahead of those times. I use SolidWorks for my work and I usually will use that for design and then export it out as a DXF and bring it into Lightburn. If you have a child or yourself is in school, you can get an educational copy of SolidWorks for $100 (which isn’t bad since the full version is $4,000)…you can do 100% of everything as in the commercial version but if you were to open the files on a professional version it will pop up saying “This was created on an educational version”. Other than that, it is just like the professional one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.