Is only a test with diode laser

But a glass bottle painted with NWT method and engraved at 500mms 85%power with my DIY brand new rotary is a success

2 Likes

Nicely done!

1 Like

Can you do that without the paint?

I thought it’s the titanium oxide in the paint that changes to black on tile.
All of mine have black results.

This looks like you did the glass fine, that’s why the question.

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

no without paint laser beam passes thru glass, and is exactly what happens, titanium oxide change to black on tiles, i got a try with a paint without TO and the result was… nothing, once cleaned the tile has turned to white as i never engraved it.

I suspect it’s the wavelength of your laser. Maybe heating up the glass via a coating is giving you that finish.

Things sure change with a different frequency.

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

my diode is 450nm and i think you are right TO heat glass and engrave it, and CO2 lasers do the same whitout paint cause has wavelength of 10,600 nm and btw CO2 means Carbon Dioxide so… is quite the same component that we find in paint and that’s why we use paint with Titanium Oxide :wink:

So with diode laser, it would be a different result ? :thinking:

what do you mean? with a diode laser to engrave glass or a tile you have to paint it with a specific white paint that contains titanium dioxide. The result is similar

This is why I was thinking that a non-CO2 would be different :slight_smile:

sure, is less powerful and less expensive than a Co2

For engraving on glass, you don’t necessarily need the ink to be white, I made the recording (30W module) using black ink from a pen for marking CDs and it was fine… I have also engraved on a flat sheet of 3mm transparent glass without using any ink (with 5,5W), just placing a sheet of printer paper underneath, in this case the engraving is done on the back of the glass (burning the paper together)

1 Like

I will make some test

Well done!
I have also seen several videos by different people recently, where the person uses Black Tempura Paint from a craft store, applied with a sponge brush then after drying, a simple touch up to eliminate streaks, let it dry and burn it.