Is there such thing as a 'midrange' co2 laser out there?

A few weeks ago, I got an ortur laser master 2 pro. I was thrilled to have it, but dissapointed by power, so I upgraded it with a 10W output module.
That module was closer to what I wanted, but it started deteriorating quickly. A replacement is on the way under warranty, but from my research I know the truth is diode lasers simply aren’t powerful enough for what I want to do.

What frustrates me though, is it feels like there’s no in between option. the K40 is the cheapest co2 option I can find, and it sounds like it would be a massive headache converting it into something useable, given its pathetic cutting area and lack of lightburn support.

I dont need 30W of output power. From my diode lasers, I know that just 15-20 would be more than enough for what I need, and I’d trade some of that power for a larger work area and ease of use. But for some reason, prices seem to jump drastically.

Note I’m canadian, so my money numbers might be a bit different, but Nothing is in the 1000-2000$ range.
you either get a K40 for $700, or you have to step up to $3000+ for a K50. I can’t seem to find any options that are in between, an affordable, weaker co2 laser with a larger work area.

Is there a reason this gap exists? I cant be the only one who feels stuck between underwhelming diode lasers and the huge expense of a proper co2 machine.

Have you looked at the 20W laser modules from Atomstack and xTool that are just coming out? You could just purchase the laser module and install it onto your laser master 2 pro.

I’ve been looking at those eagerly, I plan to get one later this year if I cant find any other options.

My biggest concern is lifespan.
my Ortur LU2 10A had around 20 hours of consistent power output at 90% power before its output started dropping to about 50% of its previous capacity. And I deliberately only used it at 90% in hopes of extending its life

I want to hope it was just a fluke and I got a bad module, but its got me nervous to invest in another diode laser module.

Got you. Going to a CO2 would allow you to work at the lower end of power. But as you’ve discovered the overhead and costs going to CO2 jump up quite a bit.

Keep in mind that both CO2 tubes and diodes are really consumables. They’re knowingly degrading the entire time they are on. Supposed if used within spec they should get the full expected lifetime. The problem with diode lasers is that pretty much all of the diodes are being overdriven. It’s not clear how low of a power would be required to keep it within the actual diode tolerances but that’s where we are.

Note that I have seen some 50-60W lasers from potentially sketchy vendors on ebay for well under $2000 shipped. You’re probably at a disadvantage with your loonies but perhaps there are some domestic vendors doing something similar?

Or else consider buying a used laser that’s known to be working well and comes with the things that you’ll need. If you’re in a larger city there are likely to be a good number of them available.

Omtech has a 40W CO2 for $449.99 USD - $578.47 CN
Only has 8" x 12" work area.
Next would be a 55W CO2 for $2499.99 USD - $3220.00 CN. This one has a 16" x 24" work area.
These are shipped prices to USA, I have no idea what the deal is from them to you.
Quite a bit more money than you wish to spend. I bought the 60W last November for $2700. I am glad I spent a little extra since mine and the 55W will do a lot more than a 20W.
My experience with Omtech directly has been great. They set the machine up including adjusting mirrors. I turned it on after reading the manual from Omtech and engraved a drawing.
Ferg

I bought something similar to this. I paid $2k (US) for mine.

It actually measures 44 watts.

I bought mine from OMTech, just because I could contact them…

I don’t know what he actually got, but mine was obviously shipped directly from the factory as is. It was close to being aligned. I know no one on this side of the pond touched it. The plywood was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. I could literally tear it apart with my hands… There no way you could open the box and put it back into the same box…

I think OMTech is a vendor and is probably more specific from whom they purchase the machines. They are all built to PRC design, with manufacturing freedom for that design…

I’ve found that most led lasers are lucky to get out 10% of their input power. My 30watt Neje doesn’t appear to have much more than a couple watts out, but they claim more than that. I’ve heard lots of claims…

I do see the Chinese making math comparisons… a 1mm dot has so much power out, say 4 watts. I can double that by making it a 0.5mm dot, now it’s 8 watts… That doesn’t really work like we’d think. The math may be right … Even though the part of the laser that really makes it work is the lens. Most LED have a limited amount of lenses available.

Sounds to me the next step in line is your maximum budget for a 5030 type machine, like the one I posted. Don’t forget they do require not only the ventilation but some type of coolant device.

Most co2 machines have a ‘bottom end’ where they can’t go any lower. If you try to switch them below about 10%, for a 50 watt laser, they don’t lase…

You’ve also added mirrors and alignment with a co2…

I love mine…

Looks like this… except it came with a honeycomb table…

Good luck

:smile_cat: