Issue with color parameters (speed/power)

Hey guys,

I have an issue with the colors which we are using as a cutting/engraving profiles.
The issue is that we are using lighburn for 2+ years already. Lets say that we mainly use color 02 for engraving product X, then color 03 for engraving product Y.

During those 2 years, we’ve changed our suppliers, so the product changed, also our laser output decreased slightly and during those 2 years we’ve changed the settings (power% output mainly) of those colors. But we also have a lot of files saved during those 2 years.

So whats the issue now, we are doing some tests today, we find out the best settings for engraving product X, we save it into the color 02, everything is working fine.

When we open a new file, the settings are correct (lets say 30% power, 200 speed).
From time to time, we open old files (lets say from last year), where our settings for color 02 were 25% power, 250 speed.

Now if we use this file and save it by mistake, our latest saved parameters are 25% power and 250 speed, which is causing some issues, since when we open a new file we expect to have the settings we earlier used (200 speed / 30% power).

Is there an option/settings where we can specify global settings for those colors and not getting them changed if we open old files or if we import files from the internet?

Thanks!

1 Like

Not really, since settings are saved into the file. They will overwrite the existing settings (which makes much sense, actually). Otherwise, you would have to redo all the settings every time you load a file.
But you can make a setting a “default” which you can recover then.

Though, I think it’s better to use the material library to store your settings and reload them to the layers of the project.

Interesting, will checkout the material library.
Thanks!

1 Like

A “linked” material library setting may be a solution going forward, but you would need to edit all the existing files to create the links. Really not a big deal if you need to check and/or re-assign all old files anyway.

There may be command line or API or some other workaround that could automate this, but that’s well outside my sphere of knowledge.