Assign vs Link in Library

I’ve read the online documentation about Materials Library and the difference between Assign and Link is just not coming in clear for me. Can someone explain for a noob please?

• Assign = takes the values defined in the material library and copies those values to the Cut Setting. No persistent relationship between the two is created.

• Link = creates a persistent relationship from the Cut Setting to the material library setting. Going forward, changes to the material library setting will automatically affect the Cut Setting.

So, for instance… assign is used when i am working on a project and i want to temporarily make that cut setting for that project?
Link would make the cut setting for the project permanent? Sorry, I’m still confused - could you provide an example?

The setting is permanent for the project. However, if you only want to take the values from the library but not have the setting be tied to the library going forward you’d use assign. This is basically the same as if you had written down settings in a journal and hand typed them into the Cut Setting. Once the values are assigned, it’s as if the material library never existed.

Link would create a persistent relationship between the project cut setting and the material library. So where the material library goes the cut setting for your project will follow. The Cut setting is now dependent on the material library unless you unlink them. This is why after linking the cut setting to the library entry that you cannot directly modify the cut settings any longer from the Cut window.

I suggest you try both on a project. For one layer use assign, for the other use link and see the relative behavior differences.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.