Issues with speed in LightBurn.. please help!

Hallo everyone!

I hope you can help me, I’m slowly running out of ideas.

I’ve upgraded my old 130w CO2 laser from a Puhan Ph3 controller to a new Ruida RDC6445S controller (complete set).
Laser power supply, motor drivers, etc., remained the same.

The conversion itself was not difficult.

Now, everything seems to work fine.
Home position, limits, and motor step size… all good.

But, I’m having major issues with the speed!

For example, if I set the controller to move right at 200mm/s, the distance and speed are correct.
It moves 200mm in exactly one second.

However, when I set the cutting speed to 100mm/s in LightBurn and try to cut a 100mm line, the machine suddenly takes 50 seconds for 100 mm!

No matter what values I input in the program, they are always too slow!
Even though the controller shows 100mm/s after loading the file, it doesn’t reach this speed. I have to set the values extremely high to come close to a normal value…

I don’t know what to do anymore…

Can you please help me? :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!
Best regards.

Did you set the information on the controller?

You can set maximums for the controller… I have no idea how they come stock.

Suggest you keep a copy of them… as they are now.

Edit → Machine Settings

You see the basic controller factory defaults, but you can expand the vendor settings also…

You can change all of them as far as I know.

:smile_cat:

I’ve made and saved the factory settings on the controller for length, acceleration, step size.

I’ve also loaded them into LightBurn.

I just noticed that this problem also occurs with the original Ruida software.

What could be causing this?
Is there an issue with the G-code generation? :cry:

Clarify what you mean here…

The Ruida and grbl (Gcode) do not speak the same language.

This doesn’t tell me anything about what you have these set. I can’t help you if you don’t give us some more information.

Since it happens with RDWorks, then it appears that it’s a controller issue, usually meaning it’s not configured correctly.

If you wish to take a screenshot of them and post them, we’ll compare them

Do you mean this?:slight_smile:

Yes. I compared it with mine and didn’t see anything that I could contribute to this configuration…

I think you have me stumped…

@ednisley might have a suggestion for you… I’m still percolating on it…

How do jogging controls from LightBurn work? Are they similarly slow or are they normal speed?

Can you take a full screenshot of LightBurn with Move window in view?

Also, in Machine Settings can you go to “Save to File”, save the file, and upload it here. Will make it easier for further analysis.

Thank you for your help so far!
I’ve now downloaded the file and taken a screenshot of the user interface.

However, when operating with the computer directly connected to the laser, I noticed the same issue.

Empty movements, like moving 200mm to the right at 200 mm/s, are exactly right in both distance and time.

But as soon as I create a file for the laser to cut or engrave, the speed suddenly doesn’t match anymore.
According to my calculations, I’m about 5000% too slow…

I’m at my wit’s end… :sob:
I have no idea how to correct the value by 5000%.

I’m asking for help! :sob:
Thank you so much! :heart:

CO2 laser File.lbset (14,3 KB)

Does this occur with both fill and line?

I don’t see anything particularly obvious. One thing I’m noticing is that your step length is dramatically smaller than mine. That would mean your stepper driver, stepper motor, and gearing must be significantly different. This alone wouldn’t cause the issue you’re seeing though since you’re reporting that burned dimensions are correct.

Try one thing please. Can you Save the RD file for the design in your screenshot and upload here? I’ll try burning it to test results.

I have now saved and uploaded the file.

But I’m slowly beginning to suspect that it might be a software issue with the controller itself.

This version:

RDC- V35.01.07
HMI-V10.10.01.15

This version seems relatively new to me, and I can’t find much about it on the internet.
When I try to update the controller, I always get an error that the downloaded original version from Ruida (RDC6445G-V15.01.22) doesn’t work.

Could it be a software bug?

Does anyone have a different version that I could try?

Thank you very much.

Laser Test.rd (19,9 KB)

Note that this is for 6445G. You indicated earlier that you had 6445S. Also note that there appear to be two different revisions of the 6445S board. One that has firmware starting with V26 and another like yours that starts at V35.

I’ve seen a version V35.01.08 floating around. I have no idea if it will work for your controller, what’s supposedly fixed in it, and if that’s even the latest.

It could certainly be a firmware bug but I’ve never heard of one like this.

I’ll likely have a chance to test the file sometime over the weekend.

I was able to test this today. The speeds looked very typical for what I would expect based on settings.

Thank you for your effort!

I almost suspected it would work for you.

Since all the settings are almost the same and I have the problem with RD Laser Cut / Lightburn, I really believe it has to do with the software.
I have also written to the manufacturer in China and to the seller.
but unfortunately, I haven’t received a response.

I also can’t find any software on the Internet that I could try… I only find software for the 6445G and they don’t work…

Would anyone possibly have a software that I could try on my 6445S?

Thank you very much! :blush:
Best regards.

Try this for firmware:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1_LAxx9-GAc2S9mKJp4kja74dVDvk7eTV?usp=sharing

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.