Jarvis grayscale test

I need help with troubleshooting image engraving using my Xtool D1 Pro 20watts.

I can’t seems to get light areas to darken at all.

I did a test pattern yesterday varying line interval and keeping speed (100mm/sec) and power (20%) constant. (screen shot attached)

Image used:
Grayscale-Gradient-Raster1

As you can see from the burn, there isn’t much shade after the left third portion

What could be going on?

Interval is probably not what you want to vary… I’d suggest you vary the speed and power…

Interval is dpi/lpi. I’d suggest you watch this Laser Everything video on photo engraving. It clearly lays out a procedure to determine the best dpi/lpi for any laser with any material in a clear and concise way…

I recommend this to anyone with a laser, you will use it most of the time using these devices… It will save time, materials and improve your end product.

There is an option in the image mode settings called grayscale… it operates fundamentally different.

There is a built in materials test that would be much easier and more functional …

If you still have issues, sing out…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Thanks for the suggestion @jkwilborn

I originally did the line interval test after watching the video you have linked to. Actually, the image of the grayscale bar came from the link provided under that video.

Your suggestion will help improve the quality of image but the issue I am trying to tackle is that the engraved wood has blank for the right side of the image. Why don’t I have dots there?

What you are seeing is what is produced by the dither… if you use the adjust option you can slide that gray area around and change where it occurs… That is part of these tests…

Right side doesn’t look any different than the left… Since you didn’t orientate us to the axes, how would I know? Many users, including me engrave turning the image 90 deg…

Either direction has text or some part of your engraving on it… so the machine is working, it’s just not doing what you want… I always seem to be there…

I think you should go back to the video at about 23 minutes in where he talks about moving the center of the gray scale around…

A photograph has an infinite variation of gray, we can’t do that with a laser… Your material does not have this ability, so you only get a small area with few dots to your maximum dots… or the bandwidth, so to speak.

Does this make sense?

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.