Job settings in lightburn first time

Can you please help me. Just bought for the first time a laser and trying Lightburn now. I put all the settings like seen in the tutorial videos. First my laser wouldnt go to the place i wanted it to go. Now seems like i changed some settings and it wont go to the front or back anymore. Only left and right. What am i doing wrong?

A quick bit of google told me that you do have a GRBL based controller.

• Open the console window.
  • type $$ there and the machine will dump all the settings
  • copy and paste that into a reply here so we can look at the settings.

I look forward to seeing what happened and hope i can help.

$$

$0=10

$1=25

$2=0

$3=0

$4=0

$5=0

$6=0

$10=0

$11=0.010

$12=0.002

$13=0

$20=0

$21=0

$22=0

$23=3

$24=200.000

$25=3000.000

$26=250

$27=3.000

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

$100=80.000

$101=80.000

$102=250.000

$110=6000.000

$111=6000.000

$112=1000.000

$120=1000.000

$121=1000.000

$122=1000.000

$130=410.000

$131=400.000

$132=200.000

ok

I just enabled the option auto-home. but still my laser just moves left and right but not front to back

With any computer/controller before modifying anything, make a copy.

‘Edit → Machine Settings’ will let you change things and ‘save’ a copy.

I don’t recommend using the $ entries in the console at least for the machines configuration variable.

At this point you could have just ‘load’ the saved configuration file and write it back to the controller and you’d be back golden…

Sorry most of us learn this way… It’s too bad that making a backup isn’t the first thing they advise you when you get a machine.

You will have to find someone with a similar machine to get those numbers

That or you will learn how to configure it.

There are people with those machines here. Might want to search for the machine type and see if anyone can supple the .lbset file.

They can drop the .lbset (lightburn settings) on the edit window.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Thank you for your answer! I guess the search can begin then :see_no_evil:

Might try whomever the vendor/manufacturer for the product. They may be able to supply the configuration for you.

It’s always worth a shot…

I can try that, yes.Thanks

I compared your configuration against someone else’s from another post.

The only diff in config seems to be in $10. Default for this should be $10=1.

You may want to set that and see if things go back to how they were.

Don’t know this for sure, but I think that Lightburn either changes this for the data it wants or uses another mechanism as I’ve seen $10 different… From Lightburn Grbl Setup Documentation.

Set your machine status reporting to be relative to the workspace origin, not the machine origin ($10=0).

Changing $10 to 0 is only necessary if an offset is required to account for negative workspace or some other similar situation where machine position is not what’s wanted. LightBurn wouldn’t change this. It would have to be done manually.

This isn’t the type of thing that should cause the left-right controls to not work though.

@HeyLie Did the issue with left-right controls occur immediately after you made the changes? Do you have a list of the changes that you made?

1 Like

At first there was the problem that the laser never selected the X0 and Y0 as beginning point, so i read somewhere that i should enter G92 X0 Y0 and after that $10=0
I think the issue started after that indeed, but i am not sure…

Let us know results after setting $10 back to $10=1.

The Sculpfun doesn’t home or have limit switches as I know. This means that wherever you start the machine is likely to be set to 0,0. Please confirm.

Again, unless there’s something else going on none of these things should prevent you from being able to jog left-right.

Double check all your connections, especially the X-axis stepper motor. Check that line on both the stepper side and controller side. Make sure the connectors are firmly seated. Check for any damage along the cable.

If you have access to a meter you can test to see that you’re getting voltage changes through the cable.

I changed it back to $10=1 and lightburn said “ok”
But it still only goes left, right but not front to back

connections all seem to be ok. Unfortunatly no voltage meter laying around here.

Sorry, though you couldn’t move L-R… not front-back.

Try swapping the cables going to steppers on X to Y and vice versa.

Do you now get motion (although the motion won’t be correct) when you try forward-back? Or does motion happen when you do left-right?

I can’t swap the cables (then they are too short). I guess they do that on purpose so you can’t mistake yourself :sweat_smile:

Can you swap the connectors on the controller side?

If not, take the connectors off and physically examine them. Do you see any discoloration or misalignment? Check all connectors especially on the Y-Axis stepper.

Try reseating them and try moving again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.