K40 laser wont move after monport grbl board upgrade

Ometech k40 not moving after board upgrade. Here are the errors, nebiw Thank you!

Monport

[VER:1.1f.20220907:]

[OPT:VMZL,35,254]

Target buffer size found

ok

ALARM:9

Homing fail. Could not find limit switch within search distance. Defined as 1.5 * max_travel on search and 5 * pulloff on locate phases.

ok

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

sys.aborts

X_LIMIT

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

ALARM:1

Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.

[MSG:Reset to continue]

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

Always start with the first error that comes up…

It’s not homing…

Dose it move at all?

If so…

Do the axes move in the correct direction to engage the home switches when you power it on?

Does it make contact with the switches?

How did the board change go? Any complications?

:smile_cat:

It is not homing or moving at all. Laser does fire when turning on.
I did put original board back and worked fine. I just cant use lightburn. When i put the upgraded board back it does not move. Lightburn does the detect the board when I click find laser.

1 Like

When you power it up, it lases?

The only common area between the two board should only be the wiring and how it’s configured…

Did you purchase this as a k40 replacement or some other controller? Most of these are configured for a K40, so it would seem to be a wiring difference of some type…

Is there any wires you need to hook up separately, that are not part of connector for plug and play… such as the lps… or other power supplies…?

1 Like

If the stepper motors hum or Buzz instead of moving, the two coils that make the stepper motor move may be connected incorrectly.

If the stepper motors don’t move, what were the conditions that caused the Hard Limit to be Triggered? Did you move the engrave head to the switch?

Limit switches being configured differently in the controller and triggered full-time can also cause the controller to not home.

With your engraver powered up and LightBurn connected, after the error messages, after the word ‘ok’ from the controller, open the console window in LightBurn and type the following:
?
then press enter.

Please select and copy the Status Report from the Console window in LightBurn and paste it into a reply here.

This should show the current status of your limit switches.

There are four small adjusters for ‘current’ on the Monport Controller next to the stepper motor drivers. You’ll need a volt meter and you’ll need to know more about the stepper motors if that’s the next step.

You may want to deactivate the High Voltage so you can’t be harmed while making these adjustments.

I move the laser so it touches both x and y switches. But, laser never moves and I do not hear any hum or buzz at all.

Waiting for connection…

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

X_LIMIT

ALARM:1

Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.

[MSG:Reset to continue]

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

error:9

G-code locked out during alarm or jog state.

MonPort

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

Monport

[VER:1.1f.20220907:]

[OPT:VMZL,35,254]

Target buffer size found

ok

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

?

?

<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:XY|WCO:-812.000,-812.000,0.000>

ok

Both switches are engaged and shouldn’t be.

Was the engrave head in contact with them?

Do you have black boxes external to the Monport controller to drive the Stepper motors or do the motors wire directly to the board?

There are some very tiny cross shaped adjusters between the heat sink and the center-line of the board. A lack of power through the stepper motor driver could cause the engraver to not move.

I found another picture that showed the connections to my type 1 power supply. It now moves. I had two cables backwards. But now, laser fires the second it is turned on. Have not had a sec to play with it but will tomorrow. Any ideas? Thank you

How is the lps wired to the control board?

Do you have a schematic?

Hi,coromi52 I’m having the same problem as you with no movement. I’m not sure my wiring is correct ? Could you post or send me the picture of the wiring on the type 1 power supply please .

https://awesome.tech/installing-mg-type1/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.