K40 lights up when moving steppermotors

The lights on my K40 used to come on when I moved the X or Y by hand with the power off. It does not anymore. I am having some issues (see my other post) with getting my axis to move now and wonder if this could be related.

I have a completely different system. However those motors are also generators. Many say don’t move them when the power is off, but you have too at times. On my Ruida, moving the axes will create enough power to light the display.

I’ve drug mine all over the place with no ill effects, but it is not your system. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:smiley_cat:

Thanks Jack. Just wondering why the change. I’m wondering if I didn’t burn my Mini gerbil board up. I saw a post somewhere or a video quite a while back but for the life of me, I can’t find it. oh well.

I could be as simple as a failure. We all eat a few parts now and then.
I have an more ‘industrial’ controller.
Have no clue about yours but the Ruidas are pretty tough.

It’s worse when you have it 2 days and it fails.

Take care, good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks Jack I think you are probably right.

It would be difficult to work on these things if you couldn’t move them with the power off. If it bothers you, move them slowly, there’s really no other option… :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input Jack, just to be clear what concerns me is the fact that it used to generate power and light the LED up now it does not light it up. It makes me think something is wrong with the connection or maybe the board.

It’s good you noticed that. Most people don’t.

It’s very possible

1. you did damage something in the drive chain
  2. the component in the drive chain just happened to fail
  3. neither 1 or 2

Is this something secondary, since the failure you just noticed or did you notice when it was working?

I’m not a K40 person and that controller is rather different, but I don’t remember seeing much about that being an issue. This probably should have been part of the post where you had the problem. We can throw out un associated things, but it’s rough when the details we need are not revealed.

Maybe one of the admins will move it or put it in some place that you will get more attention for the K40 style machines. Maybe this is the best place.

I’m sure we’ll get you fixed up… Hang in there :slight_smile:

Sorry Jack, I’m not sure if the problem is connected or not. I think I did mention it in the other post. But I did not notice it until after the laser quit working moving that is and I was trying to figure out what the problem was.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.