K40/Ruida - bidirectional scanning not aligned

I’m in the process of upgrading my K40 from a Smoothie controller to a Ruida RDC6445G. I think I have the motors set properly (finally - i can’t find any documentation about the steppers in my unit), optical limit switches activated and working, and bed size properly defined. It’s not losing steps, making awful motor crunching noises, and seems to be accurate with the dimensions.

My problem is that when performing bidirectional scanning on images or filled vector drawings, there’s an offset between the left pass and right pass, so the image is ghosted a bit. It’s my understanding that this controller is supposed to handle overscan and offset alignment in hardware, but I can’t find any configuration item in the hardware that I think might affect this. Granted, it’s in Chinglish, so it’s likely called something weird … Anyways, bi-directional scanning was spot-on with the Smoothie, so I doubt it’s anything physical like belts/gantry slop or whatever. I’m not by the machine at the moment and don’t have a picture I can post - I will when I can. Hoping there’s a simple solution to this one!

You’re looking for scanning offset adjust in the device settings: https://github.com/LightBurnSoftware/Documentation/blob/master/ScanningOffsetAdjustment.md

Set at least two entries, at different speeds, so the system can interpolate others for you.

I’ll give that a shot tomorrow night when i’m back with the machine and see how it goes. Thanks!

Turns out the huge offset I was getting was due to a stepper driver that was apparently out to lunch. I replaced it with a new Leadshine DM442 and it’s dead on, with no software fixup required. :slight_smile:

1 Like