Known exposure issue, or flaky camera?

Just received and have been playing with the 90-degree 5MP Lighburn camera on a 700x500 “red and black” Chinese machine. I had been considering various other USB cameras, but decided to go with the officially support LB camera for support. The camera is mounted ~720mm from the bed, roughly centered on the hood and adjusted to point straight down.

I am, however, running into significant problems with exposure; when the camera is somewhat happy with the exposure, the human eye has trouble. Which it’s bright enough for the human eye, the exposure is totally blown out.

I have tried different levels of lighting (I’m in a windowless garage with just ceiling lights), and simply can’t get a reasonable compromise. I’ve tried with a total of 120W LED through the garage opener diffuser up to 200W (plus the garage door) LED ceiling fixures and with/without an LED utility light on the hood of the machine. Note that I have a very tall garage ceiling, about 12’

I can get generally reasonable exposure when doing the lens correction, not-quite-as-good doing the alignment, and then using the camera overlay it becomes unusable with the white surface obliterating black ink/marker as a test.

There seems to be an exceptionally narrow window of contrast and brightness controls and the amount of ambient light to make the camera happy, “happy” changes when I get to using the actual overlay usage. The images are washed out and out of focus (although zoomed much further in).

Do I have a flaky camera, or is this expected behavior?

Thanks,

I may have at least a partial answer. No lens for the camera(!)?

Looking at the images of the camera on the web, there is a small plastic cap/lens over the sensor. Mine arrived in a bag with “90°” marked on it and what I originally thought was an internally focussed sensor with protective film on it. No “cap”/lens.

I double-checked the original packaging, and nothing there either

If this is the case, the sensor is pretty close to native 90 degrees and produces a usable image without the lens.

Does your camera look like this?

The ring with 6 notches is for focusing, and the reflective red glass bit is the lens. The cameras seem to do poorly when there is a wide brightness range in view - for example, a white piece of paper surrounded by a black bed makes the white blow out. If you put a few pieces of paper around the item on the work surface to even out the lighting it tends to help the auto-exposure. Give that a try and let me know if that helps.

We’re working on a replacement for the capture library for Windows that should give us more control, including capture resolution and exposure adjustment.

That’s the camera I have. Is the focus ring adjustable or locked down? I don’t want to break a part with a tiny mechanical connection to the PCB. If the focus is off that could explain part of the issue as well.

Focus is manual - It’ll be a little stiff initially, but it will move without a lot of force. Hook a fingernail into one of those notches, hold the square plastic base with your other hand, and turn the lens about 1/4 turn at a time.

Thanks. I’ll try both this afternoon

On the flip side, I didn’t even try RDWorks, I ordered LB before the laser arrived. Very happy with it. Nice job! Creative options galore; 3 Christmas presents out with a short learning curve.

The camera will be the icing on the cake for doing some detail work.

The focus made a significant improvement. I also used a sheet of white stryofoam which helped the exposure. It’s still very finicky, needing lighting adjustment during calibration, but it worked. Not practical to keep the background lightened up, though.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.