Laser absolute origin moved, stuck on opposite side of X axis

Machine: OMTech Polar 350
Mainboard: Ruida 6442S
Mainboard firmware: RDLC-V8.01.68
LightBurn version: 1.4.00
PC: Custom built Windows 10 desktop

I was running engraving jobs using absolute coordinates. The absolute zero position for the OMTech Polar is at the top right. While doing a rectangular trace ahead of my next job, which as far as I could tell was not appreciably different from the previous ones (I wanted to engrave a rectangle around the small image I had successfully engraved a minute before), the laser carriage paused after the second move of the tracing maneuver (at the bottom left of the rectangular area it was supposed to trace), and then returned to its zero position on the Y axis, but not the X axis. Since the job I wanted to trace was near the center of the work area, the laser carriage came to a rest near the midpoint of the top of the usable area. I tried moving it back to the right, but nothing worked. I decided to try running the trace again, but since it started from the middle and not the far right, it crashed into the left wall in the process, and then decided not to move back to the middle, but straight up into the far left corner. Using “get position” on it now, it thinks it’s at 0,0, so it refuses to move to the right, presumably because it doesn’t allow itself to move to negative coordinates. I’ve tried restarting the machine, LightBurn, and my computer multiple times, to no avail. I hear the carriage hitting the left side during the laser’s startup procedure.

What do I try now? Perhaps more importantly, even if I do get this fixed, how do I stop this from happening in the future? I don’t even know how this could’ve happened when I changed nothing aside from tracing a slightly bigger image than my previous successful job.

I read this after you posted, but can’t think of a good way to help you isolate the problem.

I’m not familiar with this machine, but I understand it has a Ruida controller. They work pretty simply, but I’m use to them having a machine console…

If the machine boots properly I’d think it would know where it was… you description seems to indicate something else…

If you can look into the cabinet and see the Ruida, it has lights on it to show the states of the inputs…

This is how I check the switches on mine… these are hall effect sensors… any Ferris metal will trigger them, you may have to manually depress the switches to see it on the controller…

How to you stop this when it fails? Does the red ring light up?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.