Laser Diode Speed

Still relatively new with lasers. I’m curious if there is an easy way of determining the fastest speed for a diode laser. Obviously, I could create different lines and assign speeds to each line incrementing the speed by say 25 mm/min until the laser stops engraving. Just thought there may be another way.

It would depend on the strength of the laser, typically measured in watts.

A 2 watt laser could be moved as fast as a 7 watt laser but obviously the 7 watt laser would make a darker line.

So your idea of multiple lines at multiple speeds is in fact a great way to make yourself a guide for your laser. It’s really the only way to know for sure for your own setup.

2 Likes

I thought that might be the case. Thanks for your response Chris!

For a given burn quality, the settings can vary from colour to colour for exactly the same material (e,g. cardboards). White needs higher power/slower speed because of its reflectivity, while black will cut at far less power/higher speeds.

The same piece of plywood can cut differently from day if the weather changes, and it absorbs moisture.

Really, the best way to go is to look at other folks power/speed grid files, and learn about the “Power Scale” in Lightburn.

Then, spend the time to do a test grid or two on the material(s) you’ll be using a lot, and then tuck the result pieces away in your reference library. With time and effort, you’ll be able to take a layer of paint off, or weaken paper so that it folds where you want, but you do need to learn both your laser, and the materials.

Also, when you find that what settings worked wonderfully a while ago are now not doing as well, it’s probably time to clean your lens.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

That’s exactly what I do too, fine description :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.