Laser engraved Leather and Birch wood

I think this is the best place for these.

This engrave is on 1.5oz calf skin leather. Omtech CO2 60W/50?
I manipulated original image in PhotoShop as .jpg then transferred to LB.

Boy with Prairie Dog sketch copy
This engrave is the same photo converted to a sketch, engraved on white birch ply with MDF core, same laser as above.
Both images engraved as an image with Stucki in LB

Questions?

7 Likes

The shading and light are excellent on the leather. my brain accepts it as photo quality while knowing its not…very easy on the eye.

What size are both pieces?

The lines on the birch are quite thick…were they burned wider using multiple runs to avoid heat build up.

Edit: Was the leather stretched or held in place by vacuume?

1 Like

Pete,
I place double sided tape on plywood, place leather in warm water for about 30 seconds when this thin (1.5mm). Then wrap in a towel for several hours before sticking it to the tape. The tape stays viable for a number of engraves.

Leather piece is 3 1/2" x 5 1/2’. Wooden piece is about 1/2" larger all the way around.

Lines on birch were engraved at Speed - 225mm/sec and power 35%

I set the resolution to144 for this one.Usually run at 300 which I felt was not necessary in this instance.

I am impressed by how well the conversion worked. No Photoshop, but Paonr Shop Pro might work for me.

You mean: Paint Shop Pro?
It would be interesting to see the source photo

(btw: a very nice example of engraving)

Great technique Marion…judging by the finish.
A few months ago I was at a steam & vintage festival in Clonakiilty, Co Cork and was figuring that greyscaling would be essential to achieve quality with laser photo reproduction, so I asked a photographer and he recommended a photoshop application “which I cant remember or find…just now” for getting the best result "I did save a page for something called ‘One-Touch’ that optimises the photo pre lasering.
Im wondering if software that has pre selects for materials will still need adjustments so is of little use, and would software presets make things difficult for lightburn.

Yes. Can spell but not type!

1 Like