Laser engraving fine but not cutting

Hi,

i’m trying to cut 3mm birch plywood, using a lasertree f45. Engraving is fine but cutting looks just like engraving.

It’s my first diode laser, mounted on a cnc 3018 pro.
Laser mode is on, $30 is 1000, matching the lightburn and firmware settings.
I’ve tried constant power but that gives the same results.
$$ console output :

$$

$0=10

$1=25

$2=0

$3=2

$4=0

$5=0

$6=0

$10=1

$11=0.010

$12=0.002

$13=0

$20=0

$21=0

$22=0

$23=0

$24=25.000

$25=500.000

$26=250

$27=1.000

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

$100=800.000

$101=800.000

$102=800.000

$110=2250.000

$111=2250.000

$112=500.000

$120=50.000

$121=50.000

$122=80.000

$130=300.000

$131=180.000

$132=45.000

Photo of attempted cuts (50mm circle) :

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

I should add that it’s also the correct distance from the material, according to the cutting data here (matching the LT-80W-AAPRO which is the same model but in a square case) :

screenshots :

I’ve tested down to 100mm/min (speed for this material and thickness is emant to be 520) and it still only engraves, just a little deeper.

What is S Value Max set to in Edit->Device Settings?

It’s set to 1000.

Check that both your laser module and the controller work at the same input voltage. Assuming the 3018 is a 12V machine make sure that the laser module is also meant to be used for 12V.

How are you powering the laser module? Is it getting power through the controller? If so, make sure that your power supply is rated to supply enough current for the laser module as well as all other components. You’d likely need a 6A power supply minimum.

This may actually be higher than what your controller is rated to pass through.

If the power supply is not the issue then it’s likely either a controller or laser module hardware fault. If you have a meter check the PWM signal from the controller to confirm 5V output at 100% power request. If that checks out then likely the issue in the laser module.

Thanks, i’m using a driver board in between the cnc and the laser, the pwm is passed through and the power is from an adapter plugged into the driver board, so no power from cnc board just the pwm.

The 12v model of the laser runs on 12V @ 3A, but this is the 24V model so i’m using a 24V 1.5A supply, i was thinking i should keep the wattage the same but i’m now thinking, due to your reply, that i should use a 24V 3A supply.

Thanks again, i’ll order a new supply.

So apparently this matches the specified input voltage for the LT-80W-AA-PRO.

Input

DC 12V 3A

DC 24V 1.5A

However, I find this a bit strange. This module is claimed to be 80W “machine power”. It’s not clear to me what that means. Normally I’d assume this is about how much power the module draws. But if the recommended input power is 24V 1.5A (36W) I don’t see how 80W would ever come into the picture.

It’s not uncommon for laser manufacturers to tout their input power values but this one seems like fabrication. Note that 36W input to 10W output seems in the right ballpark.

Having said that, it’s not clear to me that getting a higher rated power supply will resolve your issue in this case. Your current supply is rated to the recommended values for the module. So unless the unit itself is faulty it should be working at acceptably.

Perhaps check the voltage of the power supply to make sure it’s at least providing 24V.

You’re saying directly from the controller, yes? I’d suggest testing PWM values to make sure you are indeed getting what you expect.

I expect that is the total input power rating of all the power supplies for everything: laser, steppers, controllers, whatever. Add 'em all up, round upward to the next highest multiple of 10 W, and there you go.

It’s not exactly dishonest, but it inspires zero confidence for any of the other “specifications” they might list.

One useful byproduct: maybe the better manufacturers will include power supplies with enough capacity to handle the actual loads. It could happen!

:slight_smile: Yes i have no idea what the 80W is, i thought it’d be more common for them to lie about the optical power …

Input voltage is 24.4V, PWM at max power is 4.73V.
This is the manual for the 12V model of the F45 (which i assume is the same as the AA pro since same power but i can’t find input power specs for the F45 24V model that i have.
F45 12V model manual

The laser output from my 3018 CNC is only 12V, which is why i’m using this intermediate board to take PWM from the CNC controller and power from the 24V supply :

I’m using input C and output A as described in the manual.

This is all my fault for not checking the voltage on the controller laser output, i assumed it would be 24V because the 3018 uses a 24V input :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to reply :slight_smile:

This should be close enough to get near max power from the laser module.

Have you also moved the “Power Switch” to EXT?

Have you tested the actual output voltage on output A to see that it’s 24V?

Thanks, yes switched to EXT and output A is 24.4V.
I’m stumped.
I’ll email laser tree, thanks again for your advice :slight_smile:

Off subject, but I noticed the accel values are quite low. My 3018 machine has them set at 500, and $122 is 250. Do not know if this will affect your cutting, but it is worth fixing anyhow.

Thanks for that, i’ll change them and see.
Finally i’m cutting, now using a 24V/3A PSU !
But not at the advertised rates on plywood, but i’ve read that the filler/glue in plywood can affect the burn.
Just feels good to finally be cutting :slight_smile:
Now to do lots of testing to find correct feeds and speeds for various materials.

Thanks again @berainlb and @MikeyH :slight_smile:

Thanks again, made a big difference in speed :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.