Laser engraving pictures

Sean is also using a head he has designed and you will not see the same results he is getting without it. His “script” is great but without the hardware he is using you will not get anywhere the same results.

1 Like

Well, I know he’s using a new head. But others that I have seen on there using what they had turned out pretty sweet.

1 Like

Michael / Josh,

Do you guys have a link for “Dude With a Laser”? I’d like to take a look at what you guys are talking about. Thanks.

It’s a Facebook group…

1 Like

I’m looking at that head, and I’ve got some ideas of my own… I’m going to attempt to explore my own ideas… Could be expensive, lol… :grinning:

2 Likes

Bummer. Closed group.

It’s a Facebook group, just search for it

Request, you’ll be accepted

The Thunder Laser HD head appears to sell for about $425

Oh… add that to the wish list…

For something less expensive, Russ’ compound lens kit with nozzle might get you pretty close so it might be worth researching. Video link at the bottom of the page (I have no affiliation with Cloudray or Russ, just passing along):

4 Likes

So I can purchase the two lens and nozzle for $50. That is really great!

Has anyone used this? Curious to know if it can be made to fit a Boss Gen V laser head.

I haven’t used it but just put it in the back of my mind after watching Russ’ video in case at some point I started doing more engraving. Watch the video to help you decide.

Take a look at the info and graphic/pictures/diagrams to see if the lens diameter and threads might work for your laser head.

1 Like

Well, I just ordered one, I’ll see how I justify it… That’s a great value…

I have one of these and the difference is night and day with the fine detail it will output. The dot size is much smaller and more intense. The focal length is about 11mm under the nozzle. My comparison is with a reg 1.5" stock lens to this Compound lens.

Check out Russ’s Video on compound lenses

That is really interesting to hear that it was a noticeable improvement over a 1.5". That would indicate it would be a real improvement, in terms of fine detail etching, compared to the 2" which many of us have as a standard lens.

How does a compound lens compare to a Meniscus lens with the same focal length?

The key element in a compound lens is that the intensity is focused tighter, where just the meniscus lens, while it focuses tighter, the energy is spread out…

I am not sure I am understanding the difference. I have always thought that the tighter the focus, the smaller the dot and therefore the higher the energy density. What am I missing?

In Russ’s video above, he describes the 2 fold phenomena where the central portion of the beam has more collective energy than the outer portion. The second fold is the meniscus lens vs plano-convex… but back to the central portion being more powerful… as the first lens in the dual configuration directs the full beam into a smaller beam before being focused by the second lens, you get the full benefit of the whole beam into a much tighter point… I’m not doing it justice without the illustration that Russ’s video presents… in fact, the proof of the video is shown in the thumbnail still above…

1 Like