Laser head hitting the sides and not resetting

We just had to replace out motherboard in our OMTech laser with the Ruida controller. We get it in and now we’re having issues with the laser head running into the sides and making an awful noise as it goes crazy. The controller has been reset and we’ve tried resetting the x + y axis without any improvement. It still just clicks away as it hits the side of the cutting surface.
How do we fix this?

Did you restore a backup of the machine settings from the previous controller?

We did not.

If you have a backup I suggest you start from there. If not, I’d suggest asking OMTech to provide you your machine specific settings.

Failing that it’s possible someone on this forum has your exact machine who could share settings.

EDIT:
As a last resort if you need to start from scratch on your settings I suggest you read-up on Ruida configuration in the LightBurn documentation.

Configuring A Ruida - LightBurn Software Documentation

Then watch Russ Sadler’s two videos on disaster recovery:
RDWorks Learning Lab 74 Disaster Recovery - YouTube

RDWorks Learning Lab 77 Vendor and User Files - YouTube

It’s also possible that Lightburn did a backup at some time…

This is in ‘file → load prefs backup’… can’t hurt to try.

Is the device homing in the correct direction?

Was it a ‘plug and play’ replacement… same Ruida model?

When it starts to ‘run’ away, you can press ‘esc’ on the controller to stop it from the homing cycle. This lets you use the controller while it’s powered up to help fix the issue or whatever.

:smile_cat:

I will try to backup it up.

It’s not homing in the right direction. We got the x axis to reset but cannot get y to do the same. It just hits the rail and keeps going until we stop it.
We have checked the limit switches and they are not bad.

A little bit more information is required for a useful response. Most of these have inductively triggered hall effect switches and can be activated by anything Ferris. Most also have a 24V supply and will illuminate when active.

1. is it going the correct direction to activate the switch?
    Missed that it was going the wrong way. This can be changed in the Machine Settings for each axes.
  2. if you trigger the limit switch, does the led on the Ruida controller for that limit show active?
  3. if you trigger the limit switch, does the ‘Z/U → Diagnostics’ in the machine console indicate active?

:smile_cat:

This discussion may help sort out the configuration settings for each axis:

A summary on my blog gives a reasonable sequence, too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.