Laser keeps cutting off the top of my designs

Hi everyone, I’ve just got a wainlux jl3 having come from a desktop laser engraver so I am very unsure at what I’m doing! I am running it on GRBL with a MacBook.

Every time I go to laser something it cuts off the top of the design, or squashes it down small. I’m not sure how to fix this? I’ve tried a few different settings and can’t seem to get it any better.

I’ve attached a few images of the engraver itself and the pieces that it has missed parts off.

Thank you in advance, I’m a complete novice with this thing so any advice is very welcome x

This is mechanical backlash at work: notice how the squashed parts are heavily overburned, because the laser travels over basically the same path far too often.

Most likely, a setscrew holding a belt pulley onto the Y axis motor shaft has come loose or the Y axis belts have developed a bit of slack. The machine moves one way to reach the top of the engraving, then moves the other way while engraving: that direction reversal is where backlash eats the motion.

Although this mechanical tuning & adjustment advice is for Sculpfun lasers, you’ll recognize the parts on yours:

A very small amount of slack / looseness / backlash goes a long way, so you must be meticulous about inspecting and correcting everything between the motor and the laser head.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.