So I’ve been having a problem lately with my laser’s movement.
When I first started out I had no issues, but now I can’t figure out why my laser runs into the rail.
As if the controls were inverted.
My setup is a 7w J Tech laser on a Shapeoko 3 XL. (Origin is rear right)
I’ve read that this CNC works in a negative grid area, but I’ve no clue what changes I need to make.
Now, specifically, when using Lightburn’s controls, when I click left, it moves right and into the rails. But when I click right, it moves to the right, again hitting the rail. Same with forward and backward movements. Both buttons, move to the rear hitting the rear rail.
I’ll attach images of my current settings.
I did make a few changes to “$$” when I started. I don’t recall exactly, but I believe I either looked here or emailed Lightburn directly. I was told to make these changes; $10=0, $13=0, $30=225, and $32=1. all the others were left as is. This somehow fixed both direction problems and “laser fire” problems I was having at the time. This worked for me from December 2021 till mid-October of this year. Now I’m only having issues with direction.
The same photo above can be used for the machine’s orientation. Where the laser currently shows to be, is what I refer to as Rear Right. From my point of view, the closest side to me would be the Front
I’m not sure what homing switches would be exactly, but it does auto-home on startup and I can also manually turn that off so that it doesn’t auto-home.
My laser does auto-home properly and always goes to the same position with no issues. But even after homing, the direction is still incorrect.
Yes, we do use this machine for both CNC and laser engraving. And we use CNC engraving much more than laser, but never really had a problem switching back and forth when needed.
The only programs we use for this machine are Lightburn for laser engraving and Carbide Create/Motion for CNC engraving.
For the term GRBL, I’ve never noticed it appear on Carbide, only on Lightburn, so I’m not sure how to answer that part of your question.
Here’s an image of what I got after inputting those commands;
That worked! Everything moves as should. I ran a test run last night and it came out perfect. Though by this morning I noticed a minor change. Now the edges burn slightly darker than they should.
I didn’t change anything other than the command you sent. I played with different speeds and powers as well as over-scanning percentages, but it’s still over-burning the edges.