Laser not burning through plyboard

Hi
I am trying to burn through plyboard but my laser is burning some items out but not others. I have a Atomstack with a A5 M20 laser head does anyone have any suggestions.

1 Like

10/mm sec 100% power and get an air assist made for your laser. You’ll be right as rain.

It would also help to know the actual material you are trying to cut and the thickness. Diode lasers aren’t great at cutting, they are better at engraving.

2 Likes

Hi was wondering where the best place to get a air assist and how much are they to be honest never heard of this I’m new to all this as you probably realise. And yes it is on a raised bed. Also what sort of lasers are best for cutting wood its just a hobby but I’m wasting a lot of wood lol.

Co2 lasers. AtomStack is all marketing. Your best bet is a few 3D printers in the forum or searching Etsy. You need the Nozzle/Guard comb and an aquarium air pump with at least 500 GPH.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=atomstack%20m50%20air%20assist

The AtomStack M50 shows them cutting 10 mm wood is most likely Balsa. I wish there was an Independent channel that reviewed these and was honest about them and how they hold up.

1 Like

Hi Beverly can I ask what Speed/Min and Max power you are using please for the cut outs? I’m very new to this and struggling with my Atomstack A5 M30 to get it to cut 3mm ply.

I hope you get your problem sorted.

I quite literally gave you the exact settings and answered your questions in another thread.

1 Like

Hi I struggled to cut 3mm hardwood ply with my Atomstack A5 M30 but found that 10mm per second speed and 100% power got through it. I bought some lightweight ply and it cuts that easier even at 80% max power and 35% min power… I bought coaster size discs off Amazon to try out the cutting.

Thank you for the advice. I won’t be using it a lot for this as its just a hobby.

Hi had my laser for about 3 months now but it has been a steep learning curve. I’m not sure if I have Air Assist. It looks like when it is lasering that there is air blowing the smoke away but not sure and I have not bought a DIY one yet as I’m just getting to grips with engraving etc.

Thanks for the advice. I might try that after Christmas. I’ve heard that you can’t cut vinyl with it because of the Toxic gases and apparently it messes up the laser head. I would like to cut vinyl but don’t want to go to the added expense of a Cricut or similar machine really.

Thing is I do it in my kitchen at the mo with doors and windows open. I’m getting a shed but not until Feb/March time. I will bear that in mind when I get my shed though. Thanks

Think I will leave that then :joy::rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.