Laser seems to flicker, but only on Y-axis and only while cutting

Hi there! I have a month-old Atomstack S20 Pro. I’ve honestly not used it much yet and have been mostly running material tests to get the hang of it. All I’ve been working on is simple 3.6mm plywood. It’s been working fine, up until this afternoon…

Just to log everything I did/tried today:

• Ran a few material tests (fill), to see the effect of baking soda.
  • Unscrewed the laser module to remove the shield (the part with the little window) to see if it made navigating better
  • It didn’t, so I reattached the shield.
  • Did some more tests.
  • Tried a line cut test this time. Here’s where I noticed what looked like a decrease of power.
  • Tried cutting some more squares with different speeds and laser power. Here’s where I noticed that the problem mostly occurs along one axis.
  • Tried cleaning the shield, the air assist spout and the lens.
  • tried reattaching the cable of the laser module.
  • Did some material fill tests along both axes, results are fine.
  • Went to do a test run of a project I was working on. Ran the cutting phase at 400mm/min and 70% power, 2 passes. Still doesn’t cut the Y-axis properly, as you can see in the pics below.

As I watch the laser cut along the Y-axis, I can see it flickering. It does that a little along the X-axis as well, but not enough to hinder operation. I’ve read some comments about a faulty power supply, which powers both my S20 and the air assist compressor. Though disconnecting the latter (including removing the Y-splitter) makes no difference.

I’m at a loss here, does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Forgot to mention:

• Normally, 400mm/min at 70% was enough to cut through the 3.6mm plywood.
  • The second picture is mirrored, for better readability.

I get same thing. I think it is just inherent in diode lasers as they don’t have a round focal point but a rectangular one. As a result, it’s not as efficient in one axis. But maybe there is a fix that I don’t know about besides raising the power. That’s why I’m on the forum, to learn.

That’s true, from what I’ve read it’s usually 0.1mm by 0.08mm. However, that doesn’t explain the flickering. Someone on Reddit mentioned that it could be related to the connectors, so I’m looking into that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.