Laser shutting off during burn

UPDATE: I got in touch with Creality and things got worse after their firmware update. So I’m returning the module. Consider this closed.

Hey all. I just got the 10w Creality laser module for my ender 3 v2. I can get a print started but the laser runs for a few seconds and stops. And. Nothing.

I’ve checked all connections. I’ve tested the wattage going to the machine and it’s what it’s supposed to be.

It stops whether I’m connected via laptop or going straight from the SD card in the box.

I’ve searched high and low for any info on this topic and can’t find a thing. I don’t think it’s a light burn issue. If anyone has suggestions I’m open. I’ll post the g code from the console here as well.

I was just able to test something and noticed it works just fine to cut out an object on LINE mode, but FILL shuts down the laser. Here;s the gcode from the fail.

Homing

e[0;31mE (26149) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

e[0;31mE (26150) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

e[0;31mE (28205) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

e[0;31mE (28206) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

e[0;31mE (28208) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

e[0;31mE (28209) gpio: gpio_isr_handler_remove(480): GPIO isr service is not installed, call gpio_install_isr_service() firste[0m

ok

Starting stream

Layer C01

I’m on a MacBook Pro, 13” M2 with Sonoma.

Looks like a firmware issue.

1 Like

Is there an SD card in the Controller? If so, the SD Card can take over the data lines used for USB communication. Please power down the Creality E3 v2 and remove the SD card (or TF card) and power back up.

Please let us know if this addresses the unwanted behavior.

Thanks for the recommendation. The printer itself isn’t actually on. Just the laser attachment run through a different control box.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can track down the firmware. Creality doesn’t make that easy.

Check the bottom of this page. But please confirm this is indeed your laser:
CR-Laser Falcon Laser Engraver Software& Firmware Download - Creality 3D

Thanks. I actually got on the support chat with Creality and they sent me that firmware. All hell has broken loose. So I’m going to call it and send it back.

There was a Creality user on another Topic that was getting the same type of symptoms. Curious what’s going on with the machines.

At least it was cutting before I tried the firmware upgrade. I should have just left it at that for the time. But when I installed the update it went wacky. The laser module shot over as far as it could on the X axis and the printer tray shot out as far as it could. And both kept trying to go out further.

Sounds like it could have been misconfigured stepper direction. I’m curious if the firmware provided was actually for a different machine.

I honestly don’t think they know what they are doing over there at Creality. I got the replacement laser and it’s doing the same thing. I am too afraid to try another firmware update.

The replacement laser was the entire unit or just one component?

When you say doing the same thing… what are the specific symptoms?

Same thing as in cutting but not engraving. And I replaced the entire unit. The engraving will start and run for 1-10 seconds max and stop. The laser head just stays in place and the software continues to run the timer as though it’s engraving. I’ve let it run for several minutes but the laser itself has shut down as in the fans quit running and it’s not emitting a light.

I cancel the whole thing and just run a cut and it works with 0 issue. When I change the option from fill to line on the text I was engraving. To clarify: it just outlines the object as though it were cutting.

Can you disconnect the laser module and try running a fill. Does the machine shutdown or continue?

Thank you for the help. I did not try that. But while I was looking at layers in lightburn, I saw the air assist toggle. I turned that off and it worked. It engraved like a champ. I’m going to go back to all of the videos I watched and see if any of the creators had it turned off and I missed it. Or maybe it’s a firmware glitch. I don’t know, but it’s going to work for what I need in the short term. I have no idea if it will work if I add an air assist unit. I guess I’ll climb that hill when I get there.

Glad you have a workaround.

The issue is almost certainly firmware or hardware related. I was looking for possibly a power supply failure or inadequate power supply by unplugging the laser module. It’s possible that engaging a non-existent air pump was enough to cause a problem but uncertain.

Is there a specific plug available for air assist on the machine?

Do you have an air assist solenoid on the machine?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Creality Falcon shutting off Mid-Burn